In late August, crews building the future north portal of the SR 99 tunnel will close SR 99/Aurora Avenue North near South Lake Union for four days. During this closure, crews will demolish and replace the section of SR 99 that crosses above Broad Street.
To minimize the need for additional closures, separate crews will complete the following work elsewhere along the SR 99 corridor during this time:
- Utility work at Harrison Street
- Concrete panel replacement in SODO
- Expansion joint repairs on the Alaskan Way Viaduct near the Seneca Street off-ramp
- Ivy removal from the viaduct
Drivers should plan ahead for SR 99 closures from Friday night, Aug. 22 to Wednesday morning, Aug. 27. View a map of the closure.
From 10 p.m. Friday, Aug. 22 to 5 a.m. Monday, Aug. 25, SR 99 will be closed in both directions from the West Seattle Bridge to Valley Street.
- Northbound SR 99 will be open from South Royal Brougham Way until midnight on Friday, Aug. 22 for exiting Seahawks traffic.
From 5 a.m. Monday, Aug. 25 to 5 a.m. Wednesday, Aug. 27, SR 99 will be closed in both directions from the south end of the Battery Street tunnel to Valley Street.
- Allow plenty of extra time and expect additional congestion on alternate routes including I-5 and surface streets.
- Leave early or delay your trip to avoid traveling during peak commute periods in the morning and afternoon.
- Delay or reschedule discretionary trips.
- Consider telecommuting.
- Choose an alternative travel mode such as King County Metro, share a ride in a car or vanpool or walk or ride a bicycle.
Know before you go and have a backup plan
- The Seattle traffic page contains updated road information including links to traffic cameras.
- The travel alerts website provides real-time information about blocking incidents.
- WSDOT’s mobile app offers information for travelers on the go.
- @wsdot_traffic provides Twitter updates about travel issues.
- 5-1-1 offers traffic updates.
- The What’s Happening Now page chronicles closures and issues affecting travelers.
Learn more about your commute and travel choices.