You don't need an account or vehicle pass to use the I-405 express toll lanes. However, the easiest and least expensive way to pay is with a Good To Go! pass account.
Paying without an account or vehicle pass
Pay By Mail is the best option if you infrequently use Washington state toll roads. Just know you will be billed at a higher rate (additional $2 per toll). Learn more about Pay By Mail.
Simply use the express toll lanes and a toll bill will be mailed to the vehicle's registered within 14 days of initially using the express toll lanes. If you use Pay By Mail frequently, you'll receive a bill every 30 days.
If you're visiting Washington state or driving a rental car, learn more about your toll payment options.
Pay using a Good To Go! pass account
Good To Go! is Washington state's electronic tolling system. To pay the lowest toll rate on all Washington state toll roads, you'll want to use a Good To Go! pass account. Here's how it works:
- First, select the best Good To Go! pass for you. Carpools with the correct number of passengers and a Flex Pass set to HOV mode from 5 a.m. to 7 p.m. Monday through Friday and motorcycle drivers with a motorcycle pass may use the express toll lanes toll-free. Unsure which pass is right for you? We can help.
- Next, purchase your pass. Visit a participating retail store, a walk-in customer service center or MyGoodToGo.com to order your pass online. You'll need to create a Good To Go! account first (next step) if ordering online. Motorcycles and qualifying carpools can order a free Flex Pass.
- Before using your pass, activate it. Create a Good To Go! account, add your pass to your account and add funds. If ordering online, you'll complete these steps when purchasing a pass through MyGoodToGo.com and your pass will be active when it arrives. Need help getting started? Walk through the process of creating an account or adding your new pass to an existing account.
- Motorcycle passes: We encourage you to activate your new motorcycle pass by adding it to a Good To Go! account because motorcycles are still required to pay tolls on SR 520 and the Tacoma Narrows Bridge. If you do not use these toll roads, you can ride for free in the express toll lanes with a motorcycle pass that is not registered to a Good To Go! account.
- Lastly, install your pass. Find instructions for installing your pass.
All Good To Go! passes allow you to pay a toll on Washington state toll roads, but only the Flex Pass allows you to travel toll-free in HOV mode with the correct number of occupants on I-405 from 5 a.m. to 7 p.m. Monday through Friday. If you upgrade to a Flex Pass, remember to remove other Good To Go! passes before using a toll road.
Passes may not work with metalized windshields. Learn more about Good To Go! pass options for metalized windshields.
Pay using a Good to Go! Pay By Plate account
Do you use toll roads frequently, but don't want a pass? Pay By Plate allows you to pay your toll by using your license plate for an additional 25-cent fee per toll transaction. To get started, create a Good to Go! account and register your vehicle's license plate. Learn more about Pay By Plate.