Crews building the future north portal of the SR 99 tunnel will close SR 99/Aurora Avenue North near South Lake Union for four days beginning Friday night, Aug. 22. During this closure, crews will demolish and replace the section of SR 99 that crosses above Broad Street.
Drivers should plan ahead for SR 99 closures from Friday night, Aug. 22 to Wednesday morning, Aug. 27.
From 10 p.m. Friday, Aug. 22 to 5 a.m. Monday, Aug. 25, SR 99 will be closed in both directions from the West Seattle Bridge to Valley Street.
- Northbound SR 99 will be open from South Royal Brougham Way and southbound SR 99 will be open from Columbia Street until midnight on Friday, Aug. 22 for exiting Seahawks traffic.
From 5 a.m. Monday, Aug. 25 to 5 a.m. Wednesday, Aug. 27, SR 99 will be closed in both directions from the south end of the Battery Street tunnel to Valley Street.
Other construction during the closure
To minimize the need for additional closures, separate crews will complete the following work elsewhere along the SR 99 corridor during this time:
- Utility work at Harrison Street
- Concrete panel replacement in SODO
- Expansion joint repairs on the Alaskan Way Viaduct near the Seneca Street off-ramp
Ivy removal from the viaduct
The upcoming closure is expected to cause backups on city streets and increase delays on I-5. Travelers should consider the following:
- Allow plenty of extra travel time.
- Leave early or delay your trip to avoid traveling during peak commute periods in the morning and afternoon.
- Delay or reschedule discretionary trips.
- Consider telecommuting.
- Take King County Metro and plan for reroutes on buses that use SR 99, share a ride in a car or vanpool or walk or ride a bicycle.
· If you must drive, know before you go and use or visit SDOT’s travelers information page.