Crews working for the Washington State Department of Transportation will close State Route 99/Aurora Avenue North near South Lake Union from Friday night, Aug. 21 through Monday morning, Aug. 24. Travelers should plan ahead and prepare for additional congestion on nearby streets during this time. We urge you to “know before you go” and use WSDOT’s travel tools or SDOT’s traveler’s information web page. Scroll down for complete closure details.
During the closure, crews will move the northbound and southbound lanes of SR 99 near Harrison Street onto a new structure to the west of the existing highway. Shifting traffic to these new lanes will provide space for ongoing construction of the SR 99 tunnel’s future north portal. SR 99 will remain two lanes in each direction in this area.
- Both directions of SR 99 between the south end of the Battery Street Tunnel and Valley Street will be closed from Friday night, Aug. 21, to Monday morning, Aug. 24.
- Southbound lanes close at 10 p.m. Friday and northbound lanes close two hours after the Mariners game to help fans get home from the game.
- WSDOT crews will also close up to two lanes of northbound SR 99 across the Aurora Bridge for bridge maintenance work from 5 a.m. to 5 p.m. Saturday, Aug. 22.
- All lanes will reopen by 5 a.m. Monday, Aug. 24 in time for the morning commute.
- Drivers will no longer be able to enter northbound SR 99 via westbound Harrison Street. This closure will allow crews to complete additional work over the next several months. Access to northbound SR 99 from Thomas and John streets will remain open.
- Northbound drivers on SR 99 will be able to exit at Harrison Street as they do today.