Violation and Civil Penalty Notice Frequently Asked Questions

Why did I receive a notice of civil penalty? 
You received a notice of civil penalty because you failed to pay your toll within 80 days after the toll transaction occurred. Before you receive a civil penalty you should have received two toll bills, the first within 15 days of traveling and another approximately 30 days after traveling. If you fail to pay the full amount of the toll bill by the due date listed on the bill you will receive a $40 civil penalty for each unpaid toll transaction.

What are my options if I receive a civil penalty? 
As of July 20, 2015, WSDOT is providing first-time toll violators an opportunity to resolve their civil penalty by paying the outstanding tolls without fees and penalties.

Customers with outstanding unpaid civil penalties can call Good To Go! at 1-866-936-8246 to request a one time waiver of fees and penalties if they agree to pay all outstanding tolls within 20 days. Disputes can also be requested by mail or in person at a walk-in customer service center, but cannot be requested online.  
Can my civil penalties and fees be waived?

Who is eligible:

  • First time toll violators with unpaid civil penalties and fees not associated with a prior administrative court judgment. Customers may be required to pay all outstanding tolls prior to dismissal.

Who is not eligible:

  • Customers who have already paid a civil penalty and did not request an administrative court dispute hearing.
  • Customers whose debt is in collections.
  • Customers who have declared bankruptcy.

If you had an administrative court judgment:

  • Customers who had a hearing with an administrative law judge between Feb. 19 and July 20, 2015, may request the judge to refer their case back to Good To Go! for dismissal.
  • Customers who had an administrative court judgment issued prior to February 19, 2015 may request the judge to reconsider possible mitigating circumstances.

How many penalties can be waived?

There is no maximum number of penalties or fees that can be waived for a first-time toll violator. When you have more than 11 civil penalties, your request goes through an additional approval process which can take up to 10 business days. But as long as you meet the eligibility requirements, your fees and penalties will be waived.

Can I receive a refund for penalties that have already been paid?
The new toll enforcement program is for those who have unpaid civil penalties and fees after July 20. Paid civil penalties are not included in the program. 

There is an exemption for customers who had a hearing with an administrative law judge and were held liable between February 19, 2015 and July 20, 2015.

Customers who were found liable by an administrative law judge prior to February 19, 2015 are not eligible for this program, but may request an additional review by a judge. The review will be based on whether there are mitigating circumstances.

When should I dispute a civil penalty?
If you feel any of the civil penalties were in error, you should dispute the civil penalty.

First-time toll violators can call Good To Go! to review their civil penalty prior to a hearing. Customer service will work with them to pay their toll, waive the penalties and fees, and resolve any issues.

Customers who do not qualify for a penalty waiver may still dispute civil penalties by requesting a hearing with an administrative law judge.

Reasons for disputing a civil penalty

  • Did not receive toll bills. (Toll bills are mailed to the vehicle's registered owner with the Department of Licensing. Please confirm your address with DOL and update if needed at
  • The vehicle was sold/transferred prior to the time the tolls occurred. (Provide bill of sale or proof of change in ownership.)
  • The vehicle license plate in the picture is not my plate.
  • The vehicle was stolen, rented, or you are not the registered vehicle owner.
  • Customer had a Good To Go! account and was unaware bills were not being paid. 
  • Other mitigating circumstances.

What are mitigating circumstances?
Hospitalization, military deployment, eviction, homelessness, death or death of an immediate family member, failure to receive the toll bill due to an incorrect address that has since been corrected, a pre-paid Good To Go! account error that has since been corrected, or an error made by the department.

How do I pay a civil penalty?
You can pay a civil penalty using a credit card, debit card, check or electronic check using the following options:

    • Pay online (note: civil penalties cannot be disputed or waived online)
    • By phone: 1-866-936-8246
    • By mail: WSDOT Toll Enforcement Office, P.O. Box 300326, Seattle, WA 98103 (checks only)
    • In person at a customer service center in Seattle, Bellevue or Gig Harbor

    Cash is accepted at customer service centers only. Do not mail cash.

    Will I need to attend an in-person administrative court hearing?
    Beginning July 20, 2015, customer service will have flexibility to work with you to dismiss penalties and fees for first-time toll-violators. 

    Customers who do not qualify for a penalty waiver may still dispute civil penalties by requesting a hearing with an administrative law judge.

    Where are in-person hearings held?
    When scheduling your hearing, you can choose to have the hearing in Seattle or Fife:

    Toll Enforcement Office
    4554 9th Avenue NE
    Seattle, WA 98105

    Fife Municipal Court
    3737 Pacific Highway East
    Fife, WA 98424

    Evidence Packages
    If you have an in-person hearing, you can pick up your evidence package at walk-in customer service centers in Seattle, Bellevue or Gig Harbor, three business days before your scheduled hearing. You cannot pick up evidence packages at the hearing facility in Fife. The evidence package includes copies of account notes, toll bills, and civil penalties. 

    What happens if I ignore a civil penalty?

    Failure to pay or contest the civil penalty within 20 days may result in a hold being placed on the vehicle registration renewal.

    Is this considered a moving violation? Will this go on my driving record?

    No. A toll violation is a civil penalty, and it will not affect your personal or commercial driver license. No points will be assessed to your driving record and no record of this infraction will be sent to your insurance company. However, if you fail to pay the associated fine, the Good To Go! customer service center will notify the Department of Licensing, and it may affect your ability to renew your vehicle license tabs. Failure to properly register your vehicle may result in additional infraction and criminal charges.