Safety Rest Areas - Rules and FAQ's

You may:

  • Park only in designated parking areas for a maximum of 8 hours, unless otherwise posted.
  • Walk your pet, only if it is on a leash and in a designated pet area.
  • Place only your picnic or automobile litter in trash receptacles.
  • Use small stoves, but no open fires.
  • Dump sanitary wastes only from RV holding tanks at designated dump stations.

You may not:

  • Camp or pitch a tent.
  • Consume alcoholic beverages.
  • Discard litter, except in containers provided.
  • Aggressively solicit money or goods.
  • Sell goods or conduct commercial activities.
  • Cut, pick or damage vegetation.

Frequently Asked Questions

  1. Are designated "pet areas" at the rest areas only for dogs?
    Designated pet areas are intended for service animals and household pets on a leash. Typically this would be cats and dogs. These areas are not meant or designed to exercise large animals. 
  2. Are commercial activities such as selling food products allowed at rest areas?
    Commercial sales of any product or service are not permitted at Safety Rest Areas (SRAs), with the exception of articles sold through vending machines. The restriction is based on Section 111 of the Surface Transportation Assistance Act (STAA) of 1982.
  3. Are vehicles other than recreational vehicles allowed to use the "RV Dump Stations"?
    The disposal systems are for dumping sanitary wastes only from personal recreational vehicles; use by commercial vehicles are not allowed. The construction, maintenance and operation of RV dump stations at safety rest areas are all funded by RV owners through special fees.
  4. Can I leave my trailer or vehicle at the SRA for a short time?
    Unattended trailers (private and commercial) limit the number of parking spaces for travelers. If your vehicle becomes disabled at a SRA put a note in the window with your name, phone and address, indicating the vehicle is disabled and that you will return within 8 hours to repair it or to have it towed.
  5. I want to place a vending machine in an SRA; whom do I contact? 
    Vending at SRAs is managed through an agreement with the Washington State Department of Services for the Blind. Their contact information is: 
    Washington State Department of Services for the Blind
    Business Enterprise Program
    Jeanne Gallo:
    Phone: 1-800-552-7103 
  6. I want to provide coffee and cookies at a rest area; whom do I contact?
    The "Free Coffee" program allows nonprofit organizations to dispense refreshments in the rest areas to improve traveler safety. The refreshments must be offered free to the public, but donations can be accepted.

    A permit is required for participation, and may be obtained at the local WSDOT maintenance office responsible for the facility.

    More information can be found on the WSDOT Free Coffee Program website.
  7. What are the locations of SRAs with separate family and ADA restrooms?
    The following SRAs are on Interstate 5 and 90 have separate restrooms for family and ADA use:

    Interstate 5 -
    Toutle River NB, MP 54
    Toutle River SB, MP 54

    Interstate 90 -
    Winchester EB, MP 162
    Winchester WB, MP 162
    Schrag EB, MP 198
    Schrag WB, MP 198
    Sprague Lake EB, MP 242
    Sprague Lake WB, MP 242

All safety rest areas in the State of Washington have wheelchair accessible restrooms.