The temporary viaduct closure ended on May 8, 2016. These documents have not been updated since then and may no longer reflect the current status of the program or project.
2016 viaduct closure maps and resources
These materials were created to support the #99closure of the Alaskan Way Viaduct. The viaduct was closed April 29 - May 8, 2016 while Bertha tunnelled beneath the structure.
Background Information and Resources
- Overview of the #99Closure (PDF 1.3 mb)
- Overview of how WSDOT and agency partners are keeping people moving during the closure (PDF 2.0 mb)
- Planned King County Metro detours during closure (PDF 1.2 mb)
- Commuter alternatives handout (PDF 0.5 mb) for ideas on adjusting your commute by taking alternate modes or travelling at non-peak hours.
Transit resources and other maps
- King County Metro bus detour map (PDF 1.2 mb)
- King County Metro temporary transit priority lanes (PDF 1.4 mb)
- King County Water Taxi: Vashon route (PDF 340 kb)
- King County Water Taxi: West Seattle route (PDF 580 kb)
- Truck routes during the SR 99 closure (PDF 1.1 mb)
- Seattle cruise passenger detour routes (PDF 1.0 mb)
- Seattle cruise truck detour routes (PDF 1.0 mb)