Skip Top Navigation

Commercial Vehicle Pass System - Frequent Questions

Q: How will I know if the Commercial Vehicle (CV) Pass System has been activated?

A: WSDOT will send out messages through our Freight Alert system. If you haven’t signed up yet, now is a good time to do so. Go to:
We will also have information available on our website at:

Q: How will I know what detour routes are available to me?

A: The CV Pass Web page will only display available routes. Route choices will be generated based on your load category. Passes will be issued for the highest priority category first, then for other lower categories as roadway capacity allows.

Q: What information will I need to provide in order to request a pass?
A: You’ll need to indicate what cargo you’re carrying, and provide the truck license plate number, company name, contact person’s name and e-mail address.

Q: How will I know if a detour route is no longer available?

A: WSDOT will notify the contact person listed on the CV pass via e-mail if conditions have changed and a safe detour route for trucks is no longer available. Under those conditions, the CV pass is revoked and trucks will not be allowed past the checkpoint.

Q: How will WSDOT protect my company’s information?

A: We made changes to the first version of the CV Pass System and company information that was pre-entered is no longer displayed or available on our Web page. We apologize to those who pre-entered information for any inconvenience.

Q: Why did WSDOT change the system?

A: We held training sessions for the CV Pass System this winter and heard from shippers and trucking companies their concerns about information privacy and the way company records were held. We listened and changed the system so that company information will no longer be accessible to the public online.

Q: Why didn't you use a pass-protected site?

A: Budget constraints did not allow us to develop a pass-protected site at this time. A fully password-protected site for company records requires more programming and would have to be added when budget is available. The current pass site allows companies to request an individual pass(es) that does not create a record that someone else could alter or view.

Q: If I have a qualified CV pass to deliver goods, will I need to have another pass for the return trip?

A: Yes, if a round trip is required, you will need a pass for the return. You can add both directions at the time you request the destination pass. If you are unsure of your return time, you will need to request a return pass when your return time has been determined. Be sure you adjust for the three-hour window for each pass.

Q: How do I get a pass to my drivers when they are already out on the road?

A: You can fax or e-mail a pass to your driver at a truck stop or other arranged location, if they don’t have a computer printer available to them. A fax or e-mail copy will be accepted, as long as it is valid for the time, date and priority category.

Q: What is the size of the pass?

A: It’s 8.5 x 11 inches. It should be placed in the left cab window.

Q: Do telecom disaster responders need to use this system to get into an area and repair cell towers and related telecom infrastructure?

A: No, emergency workers and power crews in vans or other vehicles are exempt from the pass system. Passenger vehicles (local traffic and others potentially) would also be allowed on the detour route, depending on conditions.

Q: We are a non-profit organization which will likely be involved in transporting displaced livestock if the Green River floods. An emergency temporary livestock shelter has been planned and will take animals via private trucks or horse trailers to this shelter. Will volunteers need a CV pass?

A: Yes, they will need a CV pass. If flooding occurs and you need to ship displaced livestock through a restricted freight detour route, your organization’s cargo would be considered a Category B (essential items) and would have priority over general freight.