Commercial Vehicle - Applying for a Transponder

Who should apply?

Commercial vehicle drivers or carriers who drive vehicles with a GVW of 16,000 or above should take advantage of the electronic transponder bypass.

What are the requirements to participate in the Transponder Program?

  • Drivers or carriers must provide proof of valid vehicle registration.
  • Drivers or carriers must have a USDOT number.
  • All necessary taxes and registrations must be paid and current.

How do I apply?

To obtain an application, call the WSDOT at 
1-888-877-8567 or download an application (pdf 128kb).

You will need to submit:

  • A completed application. One application may be used for multiple transponder purchases.
  • A copy of the vehicle cab card or registration. If purchasing multiple transponders a copy of the cab card or registration is required for each vehicle.
  • Send a check or money order to WSDOT for the total cost of the transponder(s) purchase.

Once the application has been accepted, you will receive the transponder(s) in the mail.

How much does a transponder cost?

Washington charges a one-time $35 per transponder fee. When the transponder is received, it becomes the property of the carrier and the rights to that transponder transfer to the carrier. No annual fee is associated with this purchase.

Can I use my transponder in other pre-clearance systems?

The state of Washington is a member of the North American Pre-clearance and Safety System (NORPASS). To take advantage of transponder compatibility, you can register your CVISN transponder in all NORPASS and PrePass* states as well as the Oregon Green Light system. Contact the Transponder Service Center at 1-888-877-8567 for additional information.

*Subject to PrePass regulations and fees.