Tacoma Narrows Bridge Lesson Plans
Math and Science
Suspension Bridge Basics Activity Sheet
- I can understand the differences between four types of bridges…beam,
arch, cable-stayed, and suspension.
- I can understand the many factors involved in building bridges.
Throughout the lesson you will be answering
questions as you act as an engineer. Be
sure you answer as you go or you may have to go back to the beginning
and start over.
1. If you are not already connected to the internet, log online.
2. In the address box type in
3. Read the directions and scenario carefully.
4. Start with Location 1 and begin building bridges. Be sure
to follow all of the instructions carefully.
5. Answer the questions as you go.
6. When you are finished with Location 4 and have successfully
completed your town with bridges…Sketch a picture of the
Suspension Bridge Basics Questions
1. Location 1
- What bridge did you build over the multi-lane bridge for commuters
- Where is the Sunshine Skyway Bridge located? Why is this bridge
2. Location 2
- What bridge did you build over the river for rollerbladers and
- What alteration did you have to make to this bridge? Why?
3. Location 3
- What kind of bridge did you build over the busy shipping port?
- What did you have to do to strengthen this bridge? Why?
- Which bridge collapsed into the water after twisting in 42 mile
per hour winds?
- Where is this bridge located?
4. Location 4
- Which bridge did you build for the railroad in the national
- What material did you need to use for this bridge? Why?
- Click on the New River Gorge Bridge. Name 2 major facts about
5. Sketch a picture of your new town with all
4 bridges in place.
- Label each bridge
- Add character to your new town by drawing action over, under,
and/or near each bridge.
- Color your picture.