March 21, 2017 | WABN Construction Update
Learn about upcoming construction activities and project updates in the latest SR 520 West Approach Bridge North Project Construction Update.
March 22, 2017 | SR 520 News of the Week
Eastbound SR 520 to close several nights this week and next for ramp-removal work
Travelling to the Eastside this week or next? Be aware that during most evenings from Thursday, March 23, to Thursday, March 30, all lanes of eastbound SR 520 between Montlake Boulevard and the eastbound SR 520 on-ramp from Lake Washington Boulevard East will close. Crews will use this closure to remove sections of an old SR 520 off-ramp next to the highway, as well as parts of the never-completed R.H. Thomson “Ramps to Nowhere” closest to the highway’s eastbound lanes.
Nighttime closures of eastbound SR 520 are scheduled:
- 11 p.m. Thursday, March 23, to 5 a.m. Friday, March 24
- Midnight Saturday, March 25, to 6 a.m. Sunday, March 26
- 11 p.m. to 5 a.m. nightly, Sunday, March 26, through Thursday, March 30
While the eastbound SR 520 on-ramp from Montlake Boulevard is closed during the times noted above, the following ramps will remain open (shown in the map below):
- The eastbound SR 520 off-ramp to Montlake Boulevard.
- The eastbound SR 520 on-ramp from Lake Washington Boulevard East.
- Please note that I-90 will be open during these overnight closures on SR 520.
Click for larger image.
Stay up to date
Construction work is dynamic and weather-dependent, and often construction work schedules have to change throughout the week. Between these email updates, you can follow us on Twitter and visit the SR 520 Orange Page for the most up-to-date closure information.
Reminder: Full SR 520 closure scheduled for March 31 – April 3
Crews plan to close all lanes and ramps of SR 520 between 92nd Avenue Northeast and Montlake Boulevard from 11 p.m. Friday, March 31, to 5 a.m. Monday, April 3. The bicycle/pedestrian path on the new floating bridge will also close that weekend.
Click for larger image.
During the closure, crews plan to:
- Remove old, temporary tolling gantries on the Eastside.
- Continue removing sections of the old westbound SR 520 off-ramp in Montlake and the R.H. Thomson "Ramps to Nowhere."
If weather is dry during the weekend closure, crews also plan to:
- Repair sections of pavement on the existing SR 520, west of the west approach bridge.
- Inspect a sewer line that crosses SR 520 near Montlake Boulevard.
I-90 and routes around Lake Washington will be open for drivers traveling between Seattle and the Eastside during the weekend closure.
Additionally, the Evergreen Point Road Park and Ride is scheduled to close from 11 p.m. Wednesday, March 29, to 5 a.m. Tuesday, April 4, while crews add parking spaces to bring the lot to its full 50-stall capacity. This work is weather-dependent and may be rescheduled.
Have a say on potential transit changes along the SR 520 corridor
King County Metro and Sound Transit are looking for ways to best connect those who commute between downtown Seattle and the Eastside. As these agencies develop strategies for the future, they want your input.
Learn more on the King County Link Connection: SR-520 website and take the survey to share your thoughts.