- Expect short term traffic stops through the winter months between 9 a.m. and 2 p.m. for curb and landscaping work. Paving and final striping will resume in spring 2014. At that time, most of the work is expected to be done at night and will involve one-way alternating traffic with flaggers. Dry and warm weather are necessary for concrete and asphalt to properly cure.
- In the meantime, the SR 510 roundabout at Reservation Road opened to a one lane configuration. When complete, this roundabout will have two lanes.
- The roundabout at Yelm Highway remains closed and traffic is detoured via a bypass roadway.
- This project was awarded to KLB Construction and is scheduled to be complete in the summer of 2014.
- WSDOT hosted a groundbreaking ceremony to celebrate the extraordinary cooperation by multiple jurisdictions that brought the project to construction almost a year ahead of schedule. View pictures here.
This ongoing project on SR 510 will reduce the potential for collisions and improve traffic flow for Thurston County motorists by building roundabouts at the intersections of SR 510 with Reservation Road and Yelm Highway.
View the proposed new roundabouts (pdf 634kb).
Why is WSDOT
building roundabouts on SR 510 at the intersections with Reservation Road and Yelm Highway?
These intersections experience a high rate of collisions and congestion during peak hours. Reconfiguring these intersections as roundabouts has a high potential for reducing the frequency and severity of collisions and improving mobility.
WSDOT, Thurston County and the Nisqually Indian Tribe completed an Intersection Alternatives Study in 2011. This study found that constructing roundabouts at these two intersections would provide the most effective solution.
The roundabout designs at these two intersections are meant to reduce the frequency and severity of collisions as well as improve traffic flow in the area. For more information on the benefits of roundabouts ...
The End Result
In this project, crews are constructing roundabouts at the Yelm Highway and Reservation Road intersections. SR 510 roundabouts will be connected with a four-lane highway.
Our goal is to make safety improvements that will help reduce the potential for injury and fatal collisions, help improve safety, and reduce congestion.
What is the project timeline?
Construction begain in the summer of 2013. Work is scheduled to be complete in summer 2014.
|Financial Data for PIN 351032A
||Amount ($ in thousands)
|2003 Gas Tax (Nickel Funding)
|2005 Gas Tax (TPA)
|Pre-Existing Funds (PEF)
Project signage will reflect the cost of construction engineering, project bid award and sales tax.
How can I get more information?
Claudia Bingham Baker
back to top