- Work began in mid-July 2014 and is expected to be completed in the fall of 2014.
- Sign up to receive email updates about work along SR 410 and other state highways in South King County.
The Scatter Creek Bridge, located about six miles east of Enumclaw, is an important link on State Route 410. To reduce the risk of damage in an earthquake, a contractor crew is going to install steel column jackets on the bridge's two supporting piers. This is vitally important because there are no local roads to use as a detour if earthquake damage closed the bridge. During the winter, a closure would totally cut off people between the span and Crystal Mountain.That's because SR 410 closes for each winter at Crystal Mountain Boulevard and remains closed until spring.
In addition to earthquakes, one of the piers is vulnerable to erosion from the creek's waters. Rocks and other material native to the stream will be added at the base of the column footing to help reduce erosion.
The project also will improve fish habitat by removing concrete and rebar debris from the creek left from an old bridge. Crews will rebuild the stream bed and place habitat logs and woody debris for fish.
Why is WSDOT
doing a seismic retrofit on the SR 410 Scatter Creek Bridge?
The Scatter Creek Bridge is supported by two single column piers, which puts it at a greater risk of being damaged in an earthquake than bridges with multi-column piers. Adding steel column jackets will strengthen the columns and help hold them together during an earthquake, reducing the possibility of bridge collapse.
Adding rock around the base of one bridge column will prevent erosion, or scouring, and help keep the column stable during flooding.
The End Result
The Scatter Creek Bridge will be more secure in the event of an earthquake or flooding.
Fish habitat in the creek will be improved.
When work is complete:
- The Scatter Creek Bridge will be able to better withstand earthquakes.
- The bridge also will be less susceptible to erosion around the base of the pier located in the creek.
- Environmental - The creek will have better habitat for fish.
What is the project timeline?
- February 26, 2014: Project awarded to Massana Construction Inc.
- Summer 2014: We expect construction to begin.
- Fall 2014: We expect to complete construction.
|Financial Data for PIN 141015A
||Amount ($ in thousands)
|2003 Gas Tax (Nickel Funding)
|2005 Gas Tax (TPA)
|Pre-Existing Funds (PEF)
Project signage will reflect the cost of construction engineering, project bid award and sales tax.
How can I get more information?
WSDOT Project Engineer
back to top