- Through March 2014, local utility companies will be relocating utility lines above and below ground. Motorists can expect daytime shoulder closures and nighttime single-lane closures along SR 3 during the utility work.
- This widening project will extend the center turn lane and provide paved shoulders and sidewalks on both sides of SR 3. Based on funding availability and estimated costs, the improvements are intended to be conducted in two stages.
- Stage 1 of the project would begin at milepost 25.36 (just south of Belfair Elementary School and Theler Center) to milepost 27.08 (Ridge Point Blvd.) Current project funding is adequate to construct this stage based on current estimates.
- Stage 2 of the project from milepost 24.91 (intersection with SR 106) to milepost 25.36 (just south of Belfair Elementary and Theler Center) is unfunded at this time.
- The design office is defining the project footprint to determine environmental impacts and to quanitfy the additional right of way needed to construct the improvements.
Why is WSDOT
widening SR 3 through Belfair?
Drivers routinely experience congestion, delay and sudden stops for left turns. This project will relieve congestion and improve safety for both the traveling public and pedestrians.
The End Result
The end result is a wider, safer highway with reduced congestion. Key new features include a full length two-way left turn lane, wider shoulders, and new sidewalks.
New stormwater treatment facilities will help to improve water quality in nearby waterways.
- Mobility - An improved, full-length left turn lane and revised access points (driveways) will reduce congestion and provide more efficient traffic movement.
- Safety - The project improves bicycle and pedestrian safety, improves lighting at intersections and reduces potential conflict points.
- Environment - New stormwater facilities will collect and treat highway run-off.
What is the project timeline?
This project is currently in the design phase. Construction is scheduled to begin in summer 2014.
|Financial Data for PIN 300344D
||Amount ($ in thousands)
|2003 Gas Tax (Nickel Funding)
|2005 Gas Tax (TPA)
|Pre-Existing Funds (PEF)
Project signage will reflect the cost of construction engineering, project bid award and sales tax.
How can I get more information?
Design Project Engineer
back to top