View entire map
The orange line shows the route of the new roadway from the end of Eastmont Avenue to the US 2/97/SR 28 intersection at the east end of the Odabashian Bridge.
View entire photo
A computer generated rendering of the Eastmont extension's addition to the SR 28-US 2/97 intersection at the east end of the Odabashian Bridge.
View entire photo
The groundbreaking for the Canyon B Bridge portion of the Eastmont Extension was Thursday, Aug. 5, 2010.
Complete December 2013
The new roadway opened to traffic the day before Thanksgiving!
Douglas County was the lead agency for the $53 million Eastmont Extension portion of the project.
- Construction was shut down for winter in late February and resumed on April 8, 2013.
- The project was substantially complete in Dec.
- Douglas County opened bids on July 31, 2012 for stage 2 of the Eastmont extension project. William Charles West Construction of Pasco was awarded the contract Aug. 2, with a low bid of $7,192,829.50, 27% under the Engineers estimate of $9,982,000. Work began Sept. 10 and was complete Nov. 27, 2013.
- Construction of the Eastmont extension, began with the Canyon B Bridge construction on Aug. 5, 2010 with a groundbreaking ceremony.
- A ribbon cutting ceremony to commemorate completion of the Canyon B Bridge was held May 2, 2012.
- For information on the stage 1 projects, visit the WSDOT North Central Region’s Construction Update and Travel Advisory web page.
- Click here to visit the Douglas County Projects web page .
- WSDOT's portion of stage 1 included 2 intersection improvements at the US 2/97 - SR 28 junction.
- Installation of a Box Culvert under the intersection began Mar. 1 and was complete Mar. 29, 2010.
- Rebuilding the US2/97/SR28 intersection to accommodate the extension of Eastmont Avenue started in April and was complete on June 30, 2011.
- Sign up to receive Wenatchee Eastside Corridor email updates
In addition to building the Eastmont Avenue Extension, this project provided necessary improvements to the SR 28 and US 2/97 intersection to allow for the extension tie-in as well as increasing the number of lanes on each leg of the intersection. It also included a pavement upgrade to portland cement concrete.
Why is WSDOT
constructing this project?
This segment of SR 28 serves East Wenatchee, connecting bridges over the Columbia River on US 2/97 to the north and SR 285 to the south, providing access to the City of Wenatchee. SR 28 also serves as the truck route to US 97 and the Canadian border. It has experienced collisions related to the congestion.
Between 2005 and 2025, the population in the Greater East Wenatchee Area was projected to grow from 24,000 to over 40,000. That growth is predicted to occur east of Eastmont Avenue. This project extends Eastmont Avenue to provide a direct route to US 2/97, diverting traffic from SR 28, reducing congestion.
The End Result
This stage extends Eastmont Avenue, a Douglas County arterial, to the intersection of US 2/97 and SR 28 and constructs needed improvements at the intersection reducing travel time and improving safety on SR 28.
- Bottlenecks and Chokepoints: Extending Eastmont Avenue will provide a direct route from East of the Avenue to the North to US 2/97. Diverting this traffic from SR 28 will reduce congestion.
- Safety: Reducing the congestion on SR 28 reduces the potential for collisions in the corridor. The extension of Eastmont Avenue provides a second access to Fancher Heights, providing additional access for emergency services.
- Freight Mobility: Freight movement through Wenatchee Valley is expected to improve with the decreased traffic volumes on SR 28.
- Economic Development: A desireable area that is currently inaccessible will be open for development and the project improves the local transportation network for Douglas County.
What is the project timeline?
- The Eastmont Extension was complete Nov. 27, 2013.
- Construction of the Canyon B Bridge and Eastmont Extension began Aug. 5, 2010 and was complete in the fall of 2012.
- The US 2/97/SR 28 intersection box culvert installation project began Mar. 1, 2010 and was complete Mar. 29.
- Construction of the intersection rebuild project began Mar. 28, 2011 and was complete June 30.
Project signage will reflect the cost of construction engineering, project bid award and sales tax.
The work began with a WSDOT box culvert installation project that was advertised for private contractor bids Sept. 14, 2009. 12 qualified bids were opened on Oct. 15. Contract #7832 was awarded to Selland Construction, Inc. on Oct. 19 for $734,927.20, 25% below the engineering estimate. Installation of the culvert began Mar. 1 and was complete Mar. 29, 2010.
The next step was the WSDOT Intersection Improvements Project that rebuilt the US 2/97/SR 28 intersection was advertised for private contractor bids on Nov. 1. Four qualified bids were opened Dec. 9, 2010. Contract #8045 was awarded to Selland Construction Inc. of Wenatchee on Dec. 13 for $3,829,670.00, 20% under the engineering estimate. The project began Mar. 28 and was complete June 30, 2011.
The final step, managed by Douglas County, constructed a bridge over Canyon B and is building the extension of Eastmont Avenue to the Odabashian Bridge. The project was complete Nov. 27, 2013.
How can I get more information?
WSDOT Project Contact:
Bob Romine, Project Engineer
WSDOT North Central Region
PO Box 98
Wenatchee, WA 98807
Phone: 509-667-2880, or toll-free 1-888-461-8816
back to top