Why is WSDOT
pursuing this project?
This crossing will provide a portion of a larger evacuation route for the Orting School system in the event of a volcanic eruption of Mount Rainier and the ensuing lahar.
The End Result
The bridge or pedestrian tunnel crossing of SR 162 is just one segment of the larger project which, when completed, will provide a dedicated pedestrian evacuation route from Orting school campuses to a safe location on the Orting Plateau.
The Bridge for Kids lahar evacuation system:
- Is dependent on foot power only
- Avoids dependence on highway access
- Avoids crossing auto evacuation routes
- Is accessible to all four schools
- Is less than 1 1/4 miles from any school
- Provides for single assembly area
What is the project timeline?
The initial design phase is scheduled to be complete in the first quarter of 2010.
Final design, right of way procurement and environmental permitting are scheduled to be complete in the second quarter of 2011.
Project signage will reflect the cost of construction engineering, project bid award and sales tax.
This project is funded through the following sources:
- 2005 Gas Tax (Partnership Funding) - $850,000
- Other Agency Funds - $1,976,975
Washington State Department of Commerce ($1,331,000), Federal Highway Administration ($645,975)
- Total Funding Available From All Sources - $2,826,975
How can I get more information?
Pierce County Transportation Planning
4301 South Pine Street, Suite 446
Tacoma, WA 98409-7207
Bridge for Kids Committee
PO Box 1032
Orting, WA 98360
back to top