View entire map
The construction area begins at 8th Street and extends south on Meridian Ave. E. to 36th St. E.
- Paving will take place at night from April 7-11. An officer will control traffic at the intersection of SR 161 and 8th Street or 16th as needed during the night paving.
- Work will also include non-weather-sensitive activities such as landscaping and electrical, which have minimal impacts to traffic.
- WSDOT, the City of Edgewood, Tri-State and local Legislators gathered at the Edgewood City Hall September 28, 2011 for a ceremonial groundbreaking. Check out photos of the event.
Why is WSDOT
building this project?
Traffic volumes along the SR 161 corridor in Edgewood (currently one through lane each direction with a center turn lane) have steadily increased in recent years, resulting in congestion, delays and collisions. This project improves safety and eases congestion by adding lanes and managing access.
The End Result
Improved mobility and safety benefits motorists, bicyclists and pedestrians traveling the SR 161 corridor through Edgewood.
Improvements for the first phase includes adding one through-lane each direction from 24th Street to Milton Way (1.2 miles), as well as sidewalks, and 4-foot shoulders to accommodate bicycles.
Additionally, access points (driveways) to the highway will be consolidated and defined. A new traffic signal will be built at the intersection with 16th Street.
The final facility will be five lanes (two through lanes each direction plus a center turn lane), with paved shoulders, curbs and sidewalks on both sides. Four foot wide planter strips will be provided between the curb and sidewalks.
- Mobility. Additional lanes ease traffic congestion.
- Safety. New turn lanes, improved signals and managed access points improve safety.
What is the project timeline?
- Phase 1 construction began September 2011.
- Phase 1 completion by spring 2014.
- Phase 2 for right of way purchase -- from 36th St. E. to 24th St. E. -- is scheduled between 2025-2026.
- Phase 2 construction is scheduled to commence in 2027.
|Financial Data for PIN 316118A
||Amount ($ in thousands)
|2003 Gas Tax (Nickel Funding)
|2005 Gas Tax (TPA)
|Pre-Existing Funds (PEF)
Project signage will reflect the cost of construction engineering, project bid award and sales tax.
How can I get more information?
Claudia Bingham Baker
back to top