At 10 p.m. on Sunday, Monday and Tuesday, July 27, 28 and 29, crews will close the:
• northbound US 101 on-ramp to southbound Interstate 5; and
• southbound I-5 exit to 2nd Avenue Southwest.
At 10 p.m. on Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday, July 29, 30 and 31, crews will close the:
• southbound I-5 exit to Trosper Road Southwest; and
• Trosper Road Southwest on-ramp to southbound I-5.
A signed detour will be provided for the US 101 ramp closure to I-5. Detours will not be provided for the other ramp closures and motorists will need to use alternate routes.
All ramps will reopen at 6 a.m. each following morning.
The work is weather-dependent and could be rescheduled.
- This project makes necessary repairs to a bridge expansion joint on Interstate 5 near Capitol Lake in Olympia. The bridge joint repair will require two high impact weekends that will include daytime lane closures. Those weekends have tentatively been scheduled for early September after Labor Day weekend.
- This project also will grind down the old pavement, repair damaged areas and resurface segments of Interstate 5 between Tumwater and Lakewood. The total area that will be paved is more than 13.6 miles. The work will resurface the right and center lanes in those segments.
- Crews will repave the on- and off-ramps at Tumwater Boulevard in Tumwater, and Center Drive in DuPont.
- The project was awarded to Tucci & Sons, Inc. May, 21 2014.
Why is WSDOT
repaving segments of Interstate 5 between Tumwater and Lakewood?
Sections of pavement along this portion of Interstate 5 are wearing down after years of heavy traffic. It's showing signs of deterioration and rutting, and needs to be resurfaced. A new surface will help reduce annual maintenance, repair costs and keep the freeway open for daily drivers and freight haulers.
The End Result
This project will extend the useful life of the pavement and improve safety for the approximately 144,000 drivers who use this stretch of Interstate 5 on a daily basis.
This project will extend the useful life of the pavement for approximately 20 years.
What is the project timeline?
Fall/Winter 2013: Project was designed.
April 2014: Project advertised for competitive bid.
July 2014: Estimated start date.
Fall 2014: Completion
This project is funded from the following Source:
| Financial Data for PIN 300599L|
||Amount ($ in thousands)|
|2003 Gas Tax (Nickel Funding)
|2005 Gas Tax (TPA)
|Pre-Existing Funds (PEF)
How can I get more information?
Claudia Bingham Baker
back to top