This map shows the project limits for the NE 116th interchange project.
WSDOT will widen NE 116th Street under I-405 and make improvements to the interchange. For photos showing construction progress, visit our Flickr page
Pedestrians will have better and safer access at the NE 116th Street underpass as WSDOT installs lighting and wider sidewalks.
- For detailed closure information, including nighttime I-405 on- and off-ramp closures at NE 116th Street, please visit the I-405 Construction Updates web page.
- We opened up the Single Point Urban Interchange (SPUI) and turned on the new traffic signal on Dec. 20. Watch this video to learn more about how this new, more efficient design works.
- Meet your new interchange. (PDF 605 kb)
This project improves traffic flow at the 116th Street interchange in Kirkland, complimenting the I-405 Kirkland Stage 1 project completed in Nov. 2007.
As part of the I-405/NE 116th Street Interchange and Street Improvement Project, WSDOT will:
- Add lanes to NE 116th Street near the interchange with I-405.
- Improve signalization at the NE 116th Street and 120th Avenue NE intersections.
- Build a sidewalk for pedestrians and a bike lane in each direction of NE 116th Street under I-405.
- Reconstruct the off-ramp from northbound I-405 and the on-ramp to southbound I-405 at NE 116th Street from a traditional half-diamond interchange configuration to a half Single Point Urban Interchange (SPUI).
- Rebuild the structure over the port-owned rail line.
Why is WSDOT
constructing this project?
These improvements will help alleviate congestion during the morning and afternoon commute at the NE 116th Street interchange in Kirkland.
The End Result
The reconfigured interchange (PDF 615 kb) and roadway improvements increase safety, reduce delays and improve access to and from Kirkland.
- Safety: Improves safety by reconfiguring the traffic signals at the intersection of NE 116th Street and 120th Avenue NE. The project constructs a new sidewalk on the south side of NE 116th and bike lanes in each direction of the NE 116th Street under I-405.
- Congestion Relief: The improvements add capacity and efficiency for vehicles exiting and entering I-405. The added lanes on the NE 116th railroad crossing reduce congestion and enhance safety, improving access to neighborhoods and businesses.
- Environment: WSDOT's I-405 Corridor Program team is designing the project to avoid and minimize impacts to the environment. A new stormwater pond and drainage vaults will improve water quality.
What is the project timeline?
Bid opening: February 2, 2011
Begin Construction: March/April 2011
End Construction: Spring 2013
Project signage will reflect the cost of construction engineering, project bid award and sales tax.
|Financial Data for PIN 840561D
||Amount ($ in thousands)
|2003 Gas Tax (Nickel Funding)
|2005 Gas Tax (TPA)
|Pre-Existing Funds (PEF)
The cost for this project is approximately $18M. The financial data shown above includes about $92.7M for the I-405 - NE 6th to I-5 Widening and Express Toll Lanes project.
How can I get more information?
I-405 Corridor Program
600 108th Avenue NE
Bellevue, WA 98004
back to top