- Scoping Summary Report WSDOT published the I-90 Scoping Summary Report summarizing the comments received during outreach in October and November 2013.
The Cross Lake Washington Corridor is made up of the I-90 and SR 520 bridges, two parallel highways that operate as one system to connect the region’s major employment and population centers over a 22-mile long body of water.
Why is WSDOT
pursuing this project?
The Legislature directed WSDOT to study tolling I-90 to manage traffic across Lake Washington and provide funding for construction of the unfunded SR 520 Program from I-5 to Medina.
WSDOT needs roughly $1.4 billion to complete the I-5 to Medina: Bridge Replacement and HOV Project that would replace the vulnerable Portage Bay and southwest bridge approach structures. Additionally, traffic on I-90 has increased by 15,000 vehicles a day since SR 520 tolling began in 2011.
The End Result
Revenue from I-90 tolls could fund the necessary improvements on SR 520 between I-5 and Medina, allowing for a safer, more reliable Cross Lake Washington Corridor.
Washington is one of 15 states participating in the federal Value Pricing Pilot Program, which encourages states to test and implement tolling to manage highway congestion and generate revenue to construct needed improvements.
- Move More People - Completes the HOV system on SR 520 to complement two-way transit and light rail on I-90.
- Improves Safety - Replaces the vulnerable Portage Bay bridge and SR 520 west approach structures.
- Provides a Reliable Trip - Variable tolling enhances operations to increase reliability.
What is the project timeline?
- January/February: Initial scoping period
- June: Initial Scoping Summary Report published
- October/November: Additional scoping period
- FHWA and WSDOT publish Draft Environmental Impact Statement (DEIS)
- DEIS public comment period and hearings
- FHWA and WSDOT publish Final Environmental Impact Statement
The I-90 Tolling Project’s environmental study is funded with $8.32 million of federal and state funding.
For more information on SR 520 Program financing, visit SR 520 Costs, Funding and Tolling.
How can I get more information?
Emily Pace, WSDOT
Sign up for email updates on the I-90 Tolling Study
back to top