The WSDOT Community Planning Portal provides access to state transportation data for general planning purposes. The intent of the portal is to help local and regional planners, decision-makers, and citizens better understand the state transportation system. We hope sharing this data will lead to more collaborative planning so that together, we can identify opportunities to operate our shared transportation system more efficiently, manage demand effectively, and where appropriate fund strategic capacity improvements.
How do I get started?
- You may access the WSDOT Community Planning Portal by clicking the link above, or by typing the following address in your browser to find the portal through WSDOT’s Online Map Center: http://wsdot.maps.arcgis.com. For the best performance, WSDOT recommends using Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome, Safari, or Internet Explorer (9 or 10) as your browser.
- From there you may display basic information about the state transportation system such as airport locations, state highway designations and classifications, roadway characteristics, and traffic counts. See the WSDOT Community Planning Portal - Quick Start Guide (pdf 73 kb) for more information.
How do I get additional help?
- Video 1 and Script 1 (pdf 267 kb). These show and explain the basic functionality of the Community Planning Portal, e.g., how to open a map, zoom to locations, select a layer, etc.
- Video 2 and Script 2 (pdf 273 kb). These show and explain how to adjust the appearance of the Community Planning Portal, e.g., filtering data, setting visibility ranges, changing symbols, etc.
- Video 3 and Script 3 (pdf 273 kb). These show and explain how to add data and enhance the map within the Community Planning Portal, e.g., importing data from multiple sources, adding map notes, reconfiguring the pop-ups, etc.
- Community Planning Portal Trouble Shooting Guide (pdf 219 kb). This guide gives the user information on how to correct problems that may arise while using the Portal.
How does the Community Planning Portal help the planning process?
- The Portal's basic set of data about the state transportation system can help local governments complete the transportation element inventory required by the Growth Management Act. For a written summary of state transportation data for a particular city or county, activate the planning fact sheet layer and click on the city or county.
- Planners can create custom maps by uploading their own data ArcGIS Online.
- Planners can also add data to the map from other local, state, and federal agencies through ArcGIS Online. For example, ESRI has published an extensive collection of U.S. Census data on ArcGIS Online.
Where can I share feedback about the Community Planning Portal?
WSDOT wants to hear your good ideas! If you have suggestions for the Community Planning Portal, go to www.wsdotcommunityplanningport.ideascale.com to share your ideas, or contact Kyle Miller, WSDOT Community Transportation Planning Office, email@example.com, 360.705.7946.
What other information is available?