The projects below are being highlighted because they are either in urbanized travel areas or will have unusual impacts to traffic. For more information on these projects, please contact WSDOT Olympic Region Communications staff during office hours at 360-357-2789 or by emailing email@example.com.
Want to see WSDOT construction efforts? Take a look at the 2013/2014 Construction Season Projects Map.
Night work closes lanes, ramps in Tacoma for I-5 construction
I-5 lane closures
From 11 p.m. Thursday, Jan. 29, to 6 a.m. Friday, Jan. 30 and again 12:01 a.m. to 7 a.m. Saturday, Jan. 31, crews will close the left lane of northbound I-5 between M Street and Portland Avenue.
At 11 p.m. beginning Monday, Jan. 26 through Thursday, Jan. 29, the northbound I-5 Collector/Distributor lane (from State Route 16 and 38th Street to State Route 7, Interstate 705, and City Center) will close. The roadway will reopen at 4 a.m. each following morning.
At 10 p.m. Monday Jan. 26 and Tuesday Jan. 27, the Pacific Avenue on-ramp to southbound I-5 and the southbound Interstate 705 on-ramp to southbound I-5 will close until 6 a.m. each following morning.
The Portland Avenue on-ramp to southbound I-5 and the southbound SR 167 exit to southbound I-5 will close from 11 p.m. Thursday, Jan. 29 to 6 a.m. Friday, Jan. 30 and again 12:01 a.m. to 6 a.m. Saturday, Jan. 31.
Continued around-the-clock ramp closures:
- Southbound Interstate 5 exit to State Route 7 remains closed until mid-February, 2015 for construction of a stormwater retention pond.
- Northbound SR 7 on-ramp to southbound I-5 remains closed until spring 2015 for bridge construction.
- A-Street on-ramp to northbound I-5/southbound SR 7 remains closed until spring 2016 for bridge construction.
OTHER MAINTENENCE OR CONSTRUCTION CLOSURES:
SR 167 ramp to southbound I-5 will close Saturday night, Jan. 17
The State Route 167 ramp to southbound Interstate 5 in Tacoma will close overnight starting at 10 p.m. Saturday, Jan. 17 so bridge maintenance crews with the Washington State Department of Transportation can make repairs to conduit on the ramp. Crews will re-open the ramp by 2 a.m. Sunday, Jan. 18. Drivers are encouraged to use alternate routes.
Tips for Driving Through Work Zones
- Pay attention - driver inattention is the number one cause of work zone accidents.
- Leave room between you and the car ahead of you - most work zone accidents involve someone running into the car ahead of them. Drive defensively - be aware of what is happening around you.
- Merge into the proper lane before you reach the work zone.
- Don't use cell phones or adjust your radio while driving through the work zone.
Summer construction season map for Pierce county (pdf 307kb)
Weekly construction and traffic updates for the Olympic region
Sign up for Thurston and Pierce County Traffic News e-mail updates
Follow us on Twitter