The projects below are being highlighted because they are either in urbanized travel areas or will have unusual impacts to traffic. For more information on these projects, please contact WSDOT Olympic Region Communications staff during office hours at 360-357-2789 or by emailing email@example.com.
Want to see WSDOT construction efforts? Take a look at the 2013/2014 Construction Season Projects Map.
Many I-5 lane and ramp closures occur in Tacoma
Drivers traveling on Interstate 5 through Tacoma will encounter lane and ramp closures for I-5 construction.
The closures are scheduled as follows:
9 p.m. Monday and Tuesday, Sept. 15-16
• Closing single right lane of northbound I-5 from milepost 132.4 to 135.2.
• Lane will reopen by 5 a.m. each following morning.
Wednesday, Sept. 17
• 8 p.m. - closing single southbound right lane near M Street;
• 9 p.m. - closing single northbound lane near McKinley Street, and also at M Street (two separate lane closures).
• 10 p.m. - closing several facilities:
o second southbound right lane
o southbound I-5 exit to northbound Interstate 705 and to southbound State Route 7
o Portland Avenue on-ramp to southbound I-5
o State Route 167 on-ramp to southbound I-5
• All lanes and ramps will reopen by 6 a.m. Thursday.
Thursday, Sept. 18
• 9 p.m. – closing southbound I-5 single left lane near M Street
• 11 p.m. – closing second southbound I-5 left lane
• All lanes will reopen by 6 a.m. Friday.
Friday, Sept. 19
• 10 p.m. – closing southbound I-5 single left lane near M Street
• midnight – closing second southbound I-5 left lane
• All lanes will reopen by 6 a.m. Saturday
This work is part of the I-5: M Street to Portland Avenue – HOV project.
3-month ramp closure in Tacoma underway
TACOMA – Construction crews working for the Washington State Department of Transportation will close the A Street on-ramp to northbound Interstate 705/Interstate 5 at 8 p.m. Tuesday, Sept 2, for stormwater pond excavation work as part of the I-5 - M Street to Portland Avenue – HOV. The ramp closure will be in place around the clock until December, and a signed detour will be provided for motorists.
As a reminder, southbound I-5 between Yakima Street and State Route 16 is reduced from four to three general-purpose lanes around the clock for approximately six weeks. Crews have closed the left lane so the median can be rebuilt to carry traffic through the area during future traffic shifts
Summer construction season map for Pierce county (pdf 307kb)
Weekly construction and traffic updates for the Olympic region
Sign up for Thurston and Pierce County Traffic News e-mail updates
Follow us on Twitter