For more information on these projects, please contact WSDOT Olympic Region Communications staff during office hours at 360-357-2789 or by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org.
Want to see WSDOT construction efforts? Take a look at the 2013/2014 Construction Season Projects Map.
I-5 HOV construction project kicks off with two-year closure of Fife city street
Drivers who use a segment of 20th Street East in Fife are encouraged to prepare for a construction-related road closure and detour that begins at 6 a.m. Monday, March 9. The road closure and detour will be in place for two years.
The road closure is needed while crews build a new northbound Interstate 5 bridge over the Puyallup River. The bridge, which will be built adjacent to the existing northbound I-5 bridge, will be wider and straighter than the existing bridge, and will feature a new northbound high-occupancy vehicle (HOV) lane. Other improvements will also be made on I-5 between Portland Avenue in Tacoma and the Port of Tacoma Road in Fife.
Night I-5 ramp and lane closures slated for Tacoma
From 12:01 a.m. to 4 a.m. Saturday, Feb. 28, crews will close the northbound I-5 collector/distributor exit to northbound I-705.
At 11 p.m. Monday through Wednesday, March 2-4, the northbound I-5 collector/distributor exit to northbound Interstate 705 will close. The exit will reopen at 4 a.m. each following morning.
From 11 p.m. Thursday, March 5 through 4 a.m. Friday, March 6, the southbound I-705 on-ramp to southbound I-5 will close.
From 12:01 a.m. to 4 a.m. Friday, March 6, the northbound I-5 collector/distributor exit to northbound I-705 will close.
From Monday through Thursday, March 2-5, northbound and southbound I-5 drivers also may encounter night single lane closures between M Street and Portland Avenue. The lanes will reopen each following morning.
Continued around-the-clock ramp closures:
- The Pacific Avenue on-ramp to southbound Interstate 5 in downtown Tacoma will close until mid-March. Drivers will be detoured to I-5 via State Route 509 and Interstate 705.
- Southbound Interstate 5 exit to State Route 7 remains closed until early March, 2015 for construction of a stormwater retention pond.
- Northbound SR 7 on-ramp to southbound I-5 remains closed until spring 2015 for bridge construction.
- A-Street on-ramp to northbound I-5/southbound SR 7 remains closed until spring 2016 for bridge construction.
Tips for Driving Through Work Zones
- Pay attention - driver inattention is the number one cause of work zone accidents.
- Leave room between you and the car ahead of you - most work zone accidents involve someone running into the car ahead of them. Drive defensively - be aware of what is happening around you.
- Merge into the proper lane before you reach the work zone.
- Don't use cell phones or adjust your radio while driving through the work zone.
Summer construction season map for Pierce county (pdf 307kb)
Weekly construction and traffic updates for the Olympic region
Sign up for Thurston and Pierce County Traffic News e-mail updates
Follow us on Twitter