They called it "Sturdy Gertie." Nearly a decade passed between first Narrows Bridge's collapse in November 1940 and completion in October 1950 of the current bridge. The ten-year gap largely was the result of the redirection of money, materials, and manpower to fight World War II. In addition, insurance litigation slowed efforts to build a replacement bridge. Promoters gave the new bridge a nickname. Indeed the 1950 bridge proved sturdier than its predecessor. It was wider, heavier and stronger, and carried four lanes of traffic instead of two.
<-- Back to 1950 Panel