This project was substantially complete August 17, 2006.
This roadway preservation project paves 7.77 miles of highway between Cashmere and Wenatchee in Chelan County.
Why is WSDOT
paving US 2/97?
The current road surface is deteriorating, particularly at intersections that have become severely rutted. Repaving now, preserves the existing pavement structure and extends pavement service life. The project also many includes safety improvements.
The End Result
A safer highway and a smoother driving surface and extended roadway life. This will be achieved by overlaying the existing pavement with 2 inches of Hot Mix Asphalt (HMA). Driving lanes at three intersections will be ground down and filled and overlayed with a stronger,stiffer asphalt material to resist future rutting.
- Preserve the pavement for the next 10 to 15 years.
- Provides a smoother driving surface and reduces future rutting at intersections.
- Improves safety with new:
- Illumination at Cotlets Way, and Old Monitor Rd.
- Reflectorized recessed pavement markers and barrier delineators.
- Shoulder rumble strips, striping and signage.
- Hay Canyon Road right turn lane will be extended, increasing storage capacity and reducing the potential for rear end collisions on US 2/97.
What is the project timeline?
Construction began April 3rd, 2006 and was estimated to be complete in 13 weeks (65 working days). The project was complete on August 17, 2006.
Project signage will reflect the cost of construction engineering, project bid award and sales tax.
The project was advertised for private contractor bids on November 7th, 2005. Two bids were opened December 8th. December 12th, contract # 7059 was awarded to Basin Paving Company for $2,587,144.17.
This project is funded through the following sources:
- Pre-Existing Gas Tax - $3.25 million
- Total funding from all sources - $3.25 million
How can I get more information?
Kevin Waligorski, Project Engineer
WSDOT - North Central Region
PO Box 98
Wenatchee, WA 98807
Phone: 509-667-2860 or toll free 1-800-461-8816
back to top