Construction bringing ramp, tunnel and road closures this week and weekend
Seattle drivers using SR 99 this week should prepare for closures and detours as crews finish work on a ramp and conduct the first regular inspection of the new SR 99 tunnel. Meanwhile, the North Surface Streets Project will be closing three blocks of Seventh Avenue North (formerly Aurora Avenue North) this weekend for paving work and temporary light installation.
Details on each closure listed below:
Northbound SR 99 off-ramp to Alaskan Way and downtown
- When: Closed 9 p.m. – 5 a.m., Monday – Friday nights (4/8 – 4/12)
- Why: Installing railing on the shoulders of the ramp
- What this means for drivers: There will be no exits northbound on SR 99 between the West Seattle Bridge and the north end of the SR 99 tunnel. Drivers looking to reach SODO, the waterfront or the south end of downtown should use East Marginal Way, First Avenue or other surface streets.
Southbound SR 99 tunnel
- When: Closed 11 p.m. Friday, 4/12 – 8 a.m. Saturday, 4/13
- Why: Regular inspection and maintenance (the northbound directional closure is scheduled for May)
- What this means for drivers: All southbound SR 99 traffic approaching the tunnel will have to leave the highway at Harrison Street.
Seventh Avenue North weekday
- When: Closed 9 p.m - 5 a.m., Monday, 4/8 – Thursday, 4/11
- Where: Northbound lane closed Tuesday and Thursday nights; southbound closed Monday and Wednesday nights
- Why: Installing temporary lighting
- What this means for drivers: Northbound detour will be Dexter Avenue North and Harrison Street. Southbound detour will be Harrison Street and Sixth Avenue North.
Northbound Seventh Avenue North weekend
- When: Closed 9 p.m. Friday, 4/12 – 5 a.m. Monday, 4/15
- Why: Paving work
- What this means for drivers: Detour for drivers to reach the northbound SR 99 on-ramp will be Dexter Avenue North and Harrison Street. See map below: