New tour lets you "Bike above Bertha"
The public may not be able join Bertha as she tunnels beneath downtown, but that doesn’t mean you can’t track her journey at street level. We recently launched a bicycle tour that leads attendees along Bertha’s tunnel route.
The approximately two-hour tours depart from Milepost 31, our information center in Pioneer Square. Attendees pedal with a guide from the south portal to the north portal, learning about the historical, archaeological and engineering aspects of the project along the way. On the way back to Milepost 31, the tour stops along the downtown waterfront, where attendees learn about the Elliott Bay Seawall Project and the Waterfront Seattle Project. Read on for details about how to register.
Tours are available at the following times through October:
- Wednesdays 2:00 to 4:00 p.m.
- First and Third Saturday of the month: 4:30 to 6:30 p.m.
- Second and Fourth Sunday of the month: 1:30 to 3:30 p.m.
- Tours begin and end at Milepost 31, 211 First Ave. S. in Pioneer Square in Seattle.
- Tours are 6.5 miles long, use mostly city streets, and take approximately two hours.
- Tours are limited to five guests.
- Parking is available on city streets and in nearby parking garages. Please visit www.downtownseattleparking.com for additional parking information.
- Riders under 16 must be accompanied by a parent or guardian.
- No pets allowed.
- Tours may be canceled for any reason. We will notify registrants by email if a tour is cancelled. We will do our best to accommodate participants on a future tour but we cannot guarantee that there will be space available.
- All participants must have state-recognized identification, such as a driver’s license or passport.
- All participants will be responsible for their own bike, helmet, and spare tubes.
- Participants must wear closed-toed shoes and a bike helmet. Please dress for the weather.
- Vests, gloves and protective eyewear will be provided by Milepost 31 as needed.
- All participants must sign a liability waiver on the day of the tour.