June 5 project update: Installation of new seal system underway
Posted on Jun 5 2015 2:41 PM
Seattle Tunnel Partners has begun installing the SR 99 tunneling machine’s newly redesigned seal system. Crews lowered the new outer seal ring into place Wednesday, marking the first new piece to be installed in the machine as part of STP’s effort to resume tunneling.
The new outer seal system arrived in October and was stored on-site prior to Wednesday’s installation. The new inner seal system arrived last week and is currently being installed. Made in Japan by manufacturer Hitachi Zosen, the new seal system will be easier to access should the need arise.
Crews look on as the tunneling machine’s new outer seal ring is moved and placed on the cutterhead.
We will continue to provide updates as we receive them.
Digging into STP’s repair plan
You can continue to track STP’s work on our time-lapse cameras and follow @BerthaDigsSR99 on Twitter for updates. Don't forget to check out the other resources we've created to give you a fuller understanding of Bertha's story:
- Narrated video explaining STP's repair plan (links to YouTube)
- Seattle Tunnel Partners repair work plan (pdf 4.8 Mb)
- Three-angle time-lapse video of Bertha's front end lift (links to YouTube)
- Single-angle time-lapse video of Bertha's front end lift (links to YouTube)
- Time-lapse video of Bertha's first piece rising to the surface (links to YouTube)
- Time-lapse video of Bertha parking in the pit (links to YouTube)
- Video of Bertha's breakthrough (links to YouTube)
- Video of crews chipping a Bertha-sized circle on the face of the pit’s southern wall (links to YouTube).