Feb. 26 project update: Bertha’s next move
- Installing work areas around the machine
- Disconnecting joints, cables and hoses
- Removing cutting tools and other parts from the cutterhead
- Welding lift points on the body of the machine
When the disassembly process is complete, a massive red crane (links to YouTube) will move into position. Several pieces of the machine will be removed from the pit before the cutterhead, as illustrated in STP’s repair video (links to YouTube).
Crews clean up debris in the access pit.
- Video of Bertha's breakthrough (links to YouTube)
- Time-lapse camera view of access pit
- Narrated video (links to YouTube) explains STP’s repair plan in detail
- Time-lapse video (links to YouTube) shows assembly of the massive crane that will lift Bertha to the surface for repairs
- Video of crews chipping (links to YouTube) a Bertha-sized circle on the face of the pit’s southern wall