Incident at tunnel's north portal work zone

Posted on Feb 12 2015 2:36 PM

Feb. 13, 11:40 a.m. UPDATE - Statement from Seattle Tunnel Partners: 

At the SR 99 tunnel’s north portal, Seattle Tunnel Partners is continuing with its investigation of the safety incident involving five ironworkers who were installing rebar for a concrete wall on Thursday afternoon. STP is thankful that four of the workers were not seriously injured. The fifth worker is currently receiving medical treatment at Harborview Medical Center. While work is proceeding at the north portal, it is not proceeding in the area where the workers were injured, as the investigation of the safety incident is ongoing. Seattle Tunnel Partners is very proud of its safety program and safety record on the SR 99 Tunnel Project, which focuses on creating safe work conditions and eliminating unsafe work practices and at-risk work behaviors. STP takes every safety incident very seriously. As with every safety incident, STP will investigate this safety incident to determine the cause(s) and to identify the corrective action(s) to be implemented to prevent the reoccurrence of the same or similar safety incident in the future.

Chris Dixon

Seattle Tunnel Partners Project Manager

Feb. 12, 3:33 p.m. UPDATE - Statement from Seattle Tunnel Partners: This afternoon, five workers were installing rebar for a concrete wall at the tunnel's north portal work zone. The wall of rebar gave way, injuring four of the five workers. The injured workers were transported to Harborview Medical Center for evaluation. Emergency procedures were followed throughout the incident. Seattle Tunnel Partners is thankful for the Seattle Fire Department’s assistance in evacuating the injured workers to Harborview. 

Feb. 12, 2:36 p.m. - Initial statement from WSDOT: We are still gathering information, but Seattle Tunnel Partners has informed us that an incident has occurred on the SR 99 Tunnel Project job site in the north portal area. Safety is STP’s and WSDOT's number one priority. Right now, their field crews are focusing on making sure the site is secured. Emergency services were notified immediately and arrived on site after the incident.

We will provide additional information as it becomes available.