View entire map
The orange highlights show the roadway and ramps to be repaved.
View entire photo
Before-the US 97A/Ohme Garden/Stemilt Warehouse Roads intersection where a roundabout is being built.
View entire photo
After-Design/visualization overhead photo of the completed roundabout.
View entire photo
Before-pavement damage on the US 2/97 on ramp from Easy Street.
View entire photo
Before-Expansion joints being replaced on the SR 285 NB bridge over the Wenatchee River.
Complete May 2013
Construction began July 16, 2012. Construction of the roundabout was started after Labor Day to reduce the impact to tourist traffic and best accomodate commercial and agricultural truckers.Sign up to receive US 97A Wenatchee to Chelan e mail updates
on this project and other activities through this corridor.
This contract includes four seperate projects that have been combined into one, significantly reducing costs.
Two are P-1 Paving/Safety Restoration Roadway Preservation projects:
- (West Wenatchee Paving) 1.5 miles of US 2/97 is being paved with Hot Mix Asphalt including on and off ramps from just east of Lower Sunnyslope Road to east of Easy Street. It also replaces the expansion joints on the northbound SR 285 Wenatchee River Bridge.
- (South of Rocky Reach Dam Paving) 2 miles of US 97A is being paved with Hot Mix Asphalt from the Odabashian Bridge north to just south of Bob's Apple Barrel Mulch.
One is an I-2 Collision Prevention Safety Improvement Program Project:
- (North Wenatchee-Ohme Garden Roundabout) Builds a large single-lane roundabout a mile north of the Odabashian Bridge at the intersection of Ohme Garden and Stemilt Warehouse Roads.
A Chelan County project to build sidewalk on Easy St. from the US 2/97 intersection at Olds Station, north for a block to Melody Lane and the Park and Ride lot has been incorporated into the project to reduce costs and to maximize the federal grant the county received.
Why is WSDOT
paving, replacing bridge expansion joints and constructing a roundabout on US 97A at Ohme Garden/Stemilt Warehouse Roads?
- Preserves pavement on US 2/97 and US 97A by milling (grinding down) and repaving.
- Replaces bridge expansion joints on the SR 285 Northbound bridge over the Wenatchee River.
- Constructs a roundabout at the intersection of US 97A and Ohme Garden/Warehouse Rd. (Stemilt Growers LLC is providing part of the funding.)
The average traffic count through this intersection is almost 9,000 vehicles per day. These volumes have produced delays for cross-road traffic- the result of the lack of gaps to turn onto the highway. Faced with these conditions, drivers sometimes make decisions that end up resulting in a collision or a near miss. A roundabout will reduce these delays, conflicts and potential collisions between drivers on the highway and those on the side roads. One of the best safety features of roundabouts is that, by design, they eliminate high speed left turn and right angle conflicts which are the ones that result in the most serious collisions. According to the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety, roundabouts have been shown to reduce fatal collisions by 90 percent, injury collisions by 80 percent and total collisions by almost 40 percent.
Something you may not know about roundabouts involves how trucks get through them properly courtesy of what’s called a truck apron. That’s the raised, circular concrete part that sits around the center of a roundabout and acts like an extra lane for large vehicles. So when you’re driving a roundabout, and see a trailer riding up on that raised concrete circle, don’t worry. That’s what it’s there for. (See the pictures and video). To learn more, watch “how do I drive a roundabout video” on YouTube and visit WSDOT’s roundabout website.
The End Result
- Upgrades the structural integrity and extends the life of two state highways leading into Wenatchee.
- Provides a smoother ride with new bridge expansion joints.
- Improves mobility and reduces the collision potential at the intersection of US 97A and Ohme Garden Rd./Stemilt Warehouse Rd.
- Restores/upgrades signage and striping.
- Paving extends the roadway life.
- Paving and new bridge expansion joints provide a smoother driving surface.
- Construction of a roundabout reduces the potential for serious collisions and improves traffic flow.
- More visible signs and striping.
- Reduced maintenance.
What is the project timeline?
Construction is expected to begin in July and be complete in 65 working days by October.
|Financial Data for PIN 200201I, 209709A, 209790V
||Amount ($ in thousands)
|2003 Gas Tax (Nickel Funding)
|2005 Gas Tax (TPA)
|Pre-Existing Funds (PEF)
Project signage will reflect the cost of construction engineering, project bid award and sales tax.
Funding for this project includes contributions from:
- Stemilt Growers LLC - $150,000 (private funding)
- Chelan County - $70,000 (federal grant funding)
This project was advertised for private contractor bids on April 23 and 2 qualified bids were opened on May 17. On May 24,2012, Contract #8306 was awarded to Central Washington Asphalt, Inc. for $2,891,203.15, 9% over the engineering estimate.
How can I get more information?
Bob Romine, Project Engineer
WSDOT North Central Region
2830 Euclid Avenue Building A
Wenatchee, WA 98801
back to top