In August 2010, WSDOT bridge engineers closed the US 101 Simpson Avenue Bridge after inspections revealed severe degradation to the pilings of the most easterly pier.
The piers were reinforced to make the entire bridge more reliable for the traveling public.
Stabilization measures included:
- Installing two additional pier supports at the NE and SE corners of the pier.
- Strengthening the walls of the existing pier.
- Transferring the remaining weight of the pier into the two new supports.
- Removal of the temporary tie-back anchors and cables.
- Removal/replacement of the pier fender protection system.
The Hoquiam community and Grays Harbor County can use the Simpson Avenue Bridge with more reliability.
Partnerships & Cooperation
|Financial Data for PIN 310117K
||Amount ($ in thousands)
|2003 Gas Tax (Nickel Funding)
|2005 Gas Tax (TPA)
|Pre-Existing Funds (PEF)
Claudia Bingham Baker
Olympic Region Communications Manager
back to top