- We formed a community advisory group with Lake Stevens residents, business owners, and transportation experts to seek advice on the project design. The first meeting was on August 16, 2016.
- Mark your calendar: Our first public open house is on October 19, 2016 in Lake Stevens. Event details will be available in September.
Why is WSDOT
improving the SR 9/SR 204 intersection?
The intersection of State Route 9 and State Route 204 in Lake Stevens experiences severe congestion that affects Snohomish County commuters, freight mobility, and access to local businesses.
In 2015, the legislature provided funding for WSDOT to fully evaluate the intersection and develop design options and improvements. The project includes a robust community involvement program, which includes two public open houses where attendees can comment on the project.
The End Result
The preferred design option for SR 9/SR 204 intersection will reflect input gathered through public outreach and meetings, and will address the needs of the community.
- Reduced congestion. Relieves the bottleneck at the SR 9/SR 204 intersection and reduces travel time for drivers
- Improved access. Creates better access to nearby businesses.
- Multi-modal. Addresses all modes of transportation that pass through or around the intersection, including transit, freight, and bike and pedestrian traffic.
- Environment. WSDOT will design the SR 9/SR 204 improvements project to avoid and minimize impacts to the environment.
What is the project timeline?
- 2016 through early 2017 – Public outreach and design options development
- 2017 to 2018 – Further design work and land acquisition will follow decision on preferred design option
- Construction tentatively scheduled for 2018 or 2019 depending on the design option selected
The 2015 Connecting Washington transportation funding package provides up to $69.5 million for this project, including environmental study, engineering, right-of way acquisition, and construction.
How can I get more information?
Amanda Reykdal, Public Information
Tes Abraha, PE
back to top