- We held an open house and limited access hearing for the roundabout at 84th Street N.E. on Wednesday, April 24.
- This project will be advertised for competitive bid in fall 2013. We expect to begin construction in summer 2014.
- These projects are combined into one design-build project to better utilize WSDOT resources and save money.
- Sign up for email updates about projects and issues in Snohomish County.
Why is WSDOT
installing a signal to improve the SR 9/32nd Street S.E. intersection near Lake Stevens and building a roundabout at the SR 9/84th Street N.E. intersection near Marysville?
We will build a new traffic signal at the SR 9/32nd Street S.E. intersection to help improve traffic flow and help reduce the risk of serious collisions. About 19,000 vehicles use this stretch of SR 9 each day. The SR 9/32nd Street S.E. intersection was the site of 18 collisions from 2006 to 2010, including one serious injury collision. There were three rear-end collisions and four collisions involving drivers entering SR 9 from 32nd Street S.E.
We will build a roundabout at the SR 9/84th Street N.E.(Getchell Road) intersection near Marysville to help reduce the risk of collisions and improve traffic flow. This intersection was the site of 43 collisions between 2007 and 2012.
The End Result
Drivers will benefit from a smoother flow of traffic and a reduced risk of serious collisions at SR 9/32nd Street S.E. and SR 9/84th Street N.E.
Roundabouts are designed to reduce the risk of all collisions, especially those involving drivers turning across traffic. Roundabouts make intersections safer and more efficient for drivers, pedestrians and cyclists. Learn more about roundabouts and their benefits, or watch a video on how to drive a roundabout.
The signal and roundabout will help reduce the likelihood and severity of collisions. Constructing a roundabout at 84th Street N.E. and a new traffic signal at 32nd Street S.E. will improve safety along the SR 9 corridor.
What is the project timeline?
- April 24, 2013 - Open house and limited access hearing held.
- October 2013 - We will advertise the project for bid.
- Spring 2014 - Construction is scheduled to begin.
Project signage will reflect the cost of construction engineering, project bid award and sales tax.
|Financial Data for PIN 100913H, 100922G
||Amount ($ in thousands)
|2003 Gas Tax (Nickel Funding)
|2005 Gas Tax (TPA)
|Pre-Existing Funds (PEF)
The legislature budgeted $19.6 million for the combined projects. $16.7 is budgeted for the roundabout at 84th Street N.E. and $2.9 million is budgeted for the signal at 32nd Street S.E.
How can I get more information?
WSDOT Project Engineer
back to top