This is a one-lane gravel road that will be used intermittently to provide access to and from Darrington during reconstruction of SR 530.
- This road will be open for local access only 24/7. Please do not use this road unless you are local or have business ties in Darrington, Oso or Arlington.
- Pilot cars will guide drivers through the route. Drivers will be escorted through westbound at the top of the hour, eastbound on the half hour.
- Speed limit is 10 mph.
- Drivers will not be allowed to stop or pull over along the road.
Washington State Patrol troopers and private security staff will assist with escorting vehicles on the route.
- Make sure you arrive early.
- Vehicles over 105,500 lbs are not permitted
- Trailers up to 24 feet, including horse trailers, and dump pup trucks are allowed.
- School buses and RVs are allowed.
Logging trucks are allowed around the clock.
- Semi-trucks up to WB 40 are allowed.
- Drivers should be able to negotiate their vehicle over steep grades of up to 18%.
Drivers should also be skilled and familiar with the area and road due to a tight corner on the west side.
Trips through the local access road are averaging between 15 and 20 minutes. But those times could increase if non-local traffic begins using the route for recreational trips.
Late-night and early morning trips will remain on the established schedule to accommodate the material removal trucks and crews.
The SR 530 Local Access Road project was funded with $4.5 million of federal and state funding.