- This project was awarded to Totem Electric of Tacoma Inc. in February 2017.
- Construction is scheduled to begin in spring 2017.
- Sign up to receive email updates about this project and other Snohomish County topics.
Contractor crews will install a traffic signal at the intersection where the southbound State Route 525 off-ramp meets Alderwood Mall Parkway in Lynnwood. There is also an on-ramp at this location to southbound SR 525, where drivers can access southbound Interstate 5 and I-405. Both ramps will be restriped, along with Alderwood Mall Parkway through the intersection. A crosswalk will be installed on the east side of the intersection and two pedestrian ramps will be rebuilt to meet current Americans with Disabilities Act guidelines.
Why is WSDOT
improving this intersection?
An increasing number of vehicles use this intersection with currently up to 2,700 vehicles per hour during peak periods. From 2011 to 2015, there were 32 collisions at the intersection. Left alone, the crash rate is expected to remain the same or possibly increase as development grows in the area.
A traffic signal and improved striping are expected to increase line of sight, reduce collisions and improve traffic flow at the intersection. We considered installing a two-lane roundabout but decided against it because of possible backups from nearby traffic signals.
The End Result
This project will create a more efficient intersection with a reduced risk of collisions.
- Safety: Improvements to this intersection will decrease the risk of severe collisions.
- Pedestrian mobility: Pedestrian improvements, including the installation of ADA-compliant ramps and a crosswalk, will increase safety and mobility in the area.
What is the project timeline?
- January 2017: Project was advertised for competitive bidding.
- February 2017: Project was awarded to Totem Electric of Tacoma Inc.
- Spring 2017: Construction is scheduled to begin.
- Fall 2017: Construction is scheduled to be complete.
|Financial Data for PIN 152500S
||Amount ($ in thousands)
|2003 Gas Tax (Nickel Funding)
|2005 Gas Tax (TPA)
|Pre-Existing Funds (PEF)
Project signage will reflect the cost of construction engineering, project bid award and sales tax.
How can I get more information?
back to top