This web page provides details on upcoming full closures of the SR 520 highway. This includes full closures in both directions or in a single direction. For a list and map of all closures, including single-lane closures and other activities, visit the SR 520 Orange Page.
UPDATED: July 23, 2014
When are the next SR 520 closures?
Full highway closures (both directions)
- 11 p.m. Friday, Aug. 8 to 5 a.m. Monday, Aug. 11
Directional closures: both westbound lanes
Between 92nd Avenue Northeast and Montlake Boulevard, on the following dates:
- 11 p.m. Monday, July 28 to 5 a.m. Tuesday, July 29
- 11 p.m. Tuesday, July 29 to 5 a.m. Wednesday, July 30
- 11 p.m. Wednesday, July 30 to 5 a.m. Thursday, July 31
- 11 p.m. Monday, August 4 to 5 a.m. Tuesday, August 5
- 11 p.m. Thursday, August 7 to 5 a.m. Friday, August 8
- 11 p.m. Monday, August 11 to 5 a.m. Tuesday, August 12
- 11 p.m. Thursday, August 14 to 5 a.m. Friday, August 15
Directional closures: both eastbound lanes
- None currently scheduled.
Why do crews need to completely close the highway?
Closing the highway overnight and on the weekend to complete work activities keeps traffic flowing during peak weekday travel times.
During the March 29-30 eastbound closure, crews will shift the traffic lanes slightly to the north to provide room for construction of barrier walls.
During the westbound closures listed on the SR 520 Orange Page, crews will pour concrete foundations for the new West Connection Bridge.
What can drivers do?
Thousands of vehicles travel across the SR 520 floating bridge on a typical weekend. We need drivers' help to prevent regional gridlock during a weekend closure. We suggest drivers:
- Know Before You Go: check the Seattle traffic website, call 511 for real-time travel information and plan for delays and added travel time.
- Delay discretionary trips, especially during high traffic periods, especially between 10 a.m. and 8 p.m.
- Expect heavy congestion on alternate routes such as I-405, I-5 and I-90, especially during daytime closures.
- Use the I-90 and I-5 express lanes, which may be adjusted to help ease congestion. View details.
- Key alternate routes for drivers heading to Seattle and the sports stadiums from the south end include SR 509, SR 599, East Marginal Way South, Airport Way South and Fourth Avenue South.
- During daytime closures, drivers should expect increased congestion on local streets, especially on 108th Avenue Northeast, Northup Way and Bellevue Way Northeast.
- Carpool and use transit. Here are some links to help you plan your trip:
- King County Metro
- Sound Transit
- Google trip planner
- Community Transit
Photos from previous highway closures: