UPDATED: May 17, 2013
When is the next closure?
11 p.m. Friday, May 31, to 5 a.m. Monday, June 3.
Download a flyer for more information (pdf 88 kb)
Where is the closure?
When crews close the highway, they close both directions of the SR 520 floating bridge and highway and all ramps between Montlake Boulevard, in Seattle, and I-405, in Bellevue.
What remains open during SR 520 closures?
When crews close the highway, SR 520 remains open between Montlake Boulevard and I-5, and east of I-405.
In Seattle, the Montlake Boulevard ramps from eastbound SR 520 and to westbound SR 520 remain open.
When will crews reopen the highway?
All ramps and the mainline are required to reopen by 5 a.m. Monday following weekend closures.
Why do crews need to completely close the highway?
Closing the highway overnight and on the weekend to complete work activities keeps traffic flowing during peak weekday travel times.
What can drivers do?
Thousands of vehicles travel across the SR 520 floating bridge on a typical weekend. We need drivers' help to prevent regional gridlock during a weekend closure. We suggest drivers:
- Delay discretionary trips, especially during high traffic periods, especially between 10 a.m. and 8 p.m.
- Expect heavy congestion on alternate routes such as I-405, I-5 and I-90.
- Use the I-90 and I-5 express lanes, which are adjusted to help ease congestion. View details.
- Key alternate routes for drivers heading to Seattle and the sports stadiums from the south end include SR 509, SR 599, East Marginal Way South, Airport Way South and Fourth Avenue South.
- Drivers should expect increased congestion on local streets, especially on 108th Avenue Northeast, 112th Avenue Northeast, Northup Way and Bellevue Way Northeast.
- Know Before You Go: check the WSDOT website, call 511 for real-time travel information and plan for delays and added travel time.
- Carpool and use transit. Here are some links to help you plan your trip:
- King County Metro
- Sound Transit
- Google trip planner
- Community Transit
Photos from previous weekend closures:
Additional highway closures are scheduled:
These closures are part of the SR 520 Eastside Transit and HOV Project. The project will build transit service and mobility improvements, along with environmental and community enhancements on SR 520 between Medina and I-405.
Eastside Corridor Constructors
3075 112th Ave. NE, Suite 100
Bellevue, WA 98004