UPDATED: Nov. 8, 2013
When are the next SR 520 closures?
No full closures of SR 520 are scheduled at this time.
Single-lane closure details are posted on the SR 520 Orange Page.
Why do crews need to completely close the highway?
Closing the highway overnight and on the weekend to complete work activities keeps traffic flowing during peak weekday travel times.
During the westbound closures listed on the SR 520 Orange Page, crews will pour concrete foundations for the new West Connection Bridge.
What can drivers do?
Thousands of vehicles travel across the SR 520 floating bridge on a typical weekend. We need drivers' help to prevent regional gridlock during a weekend closure. We suggest drivers:
- Know Before You Go: check the Seattle traffic website, call 511 for real-time travel information and plan for delays and added travel time.
- Delay discretionary trips, especially during high traffic periods, especially between 10 a.m. and 8 p.m.
- Expect heavy congestion on alternate routes such as I-405, I-5 and I-90, especially during daytime closures.
- Use the I-90 and I-5 express lanes, which may be adjusted to help ease congestion. View details.
- Key alternate routes for drivers heading to Seattle and the sports stadiums from the south end include SR 509, SR 599, East Marginal Way South, Airport Way South and Fourth Avenue South.
- During daytime closures, drivers should expect increased congestion on local streets, especially on 108th Avenue Northeast, Northup Way and Bellevue Way Northeast.
- Carpool and use transit. Here are some links to help you plan your trip:
- King County Metro
- Sound Transit
- Google trip planner
- Community Transit
Photos from previous highway closures: