View a simulated rendering of the new Eastside Transit and HOV Project:YouTube
| Windows Media Player
Evening congestion headed west on SR 520 toward 92nd Avenue NE.
Why is WSDOT
enhancing the Eastside transit and HOV system?
SR 520 is a busy regional corridor that connects key Eastside communities, including Bellevue, Kirkland and Redmond. Population and employment have steadily grown in these communities over the past several years, leading to increased traffic and transit demand.
This rise in congestion – and a roadway designed for the 1960s – has led to frustrating commutes and unreliable transit travel times.
The End Result
The Eastside Transit and HOV Project will complete and improve the 8.8-mile HOV system from Evergreen Point Road to the SR 202 interchange.
The improved six-lane corridor includes two general-purpose lanes and one transit/HOV lane in each direction.
The new inside HOV lanes west of 108th Avenue Northeast align with new median transit stops and direct-access ramps for carpools and buses. The existing outside HOV lanes east of I-405 will remain in place until traffic patterns and transportation planning efforts show a change is needed.
The Eastside Transit and HOV Project will provide transit service and mobility improvements along with environmental and community enhancements.
Eastside transit service and mobility improvements:
- Regional bicycle and pedestrian path.
- Direct-access ramp to 108th Avenue NE for carpools and transit.
- Wider, safer shoulders.
- A transit/HOV lane through the entire Eastside corridor.
- Improvement of the Evergreen Point Road Park and Ride.
- Median transit stops at Evergreen Point Road and 92nd Avenue NE.
Environmental and community enhancements
- Fish habitat improvements.
- Noise reduction techniques.
- Stormwater treatment and detention facilities between Evergreen Point Road and 108th Avenue NE.
- New lids at Evergreen Point Road, 84th Avenue NE and 92nd Avenue NE.
What is the project timeline?
- Spring 2010 - Completed environmental process.
- 2010/2011 - Received permits.
- Spring 2011 - Began construction.
- Summer 2014 - Open to drivers.
This project is fully funded by a variety of state and federal sources, including SR 520 tolling that began in December 2011.
We awarded a $306 million contract to Eastside Corridor Constructors for the Eastside project.
Visit the SR 520 Costs, Funding and Tolling page for additional information.
How can I get more information?
- E-mail: @WSDOT_520
- Hotline: 425-998-5200
Eastside Corridor Constructors
3075 112th Ave. NE, Suite 201
Bellevue, WA 98004
SR 520 program
- E-mail: SR520bridge@wsdot.wa.gov
- Phone: 206-770-3500
- Infoline: 1-888-520-NEWS (6397)
- Twitter: @WSDOT_520
SR 520 Bridge Replacement and HOV Program
999 3rd Avenue, Suite 2200
Seattle, WA 98104
back to top