View a simulated rendering of the new Eastside Transit and HOV Project: YouTube
Prior to completion of new HOV lanes, evening congestion on westbound SR 520 near 92nd Avenue NE.
What's happening now on the SR 520 Eastside project?
Eastside's new SR 520 HOV lanes
- New inside HOV lanes between Lake Washington and I-405 opened in September. Learn more...
Stay in touch
- Call our Ask520 information line (staffed 8 a.m.-5 p.m., Mon.-Fri): 206-770-3554
- Call our 24-hour construction hotline (for urgent issues): 206-708-4657
- Email us at SR520Bridge@WSDOT.WA.GOV
- Receive project information via our
SR 520 email updates.
- Follow us on Twitter @WSDOT_520.
Why is WSDOT
enhancing the Eastside transit and HOV system
SR 520 is a busy regional corridor that connects Seattle and key Eastside communities, including Bellevue, Kirkland and Redmond. Population and employment have grown dramatically in these communities in recent years, leading to increased traffic and transit demand.
This rise in congestion – and a roadway designed for the 1960s – has led to frustrating commutes and unreliable transit travel times.
The End Result
The Eastside Transit and HOV Project completes and improves the 2.3-mile HOV system from Evergreen Point Road in Medina to 108th Avenue Northeast in Bellevue.
The improved six-lane corridor now includes two general-purpose lanes and one transit/HOV lane in each direction.
The new inside HOV lanes west of 108th Avenue Northeast align with new median transit stops and direct-access ramps for carpools and buses. WSDOT's ultimate plan is to move SR 520's outside HOV lanes east of I-405 to the inside as well, but that move will first require some highway improvements around the SR 520 / I-405 interchange.
The Eastside Transit and HOV Project provides mobility improvements for transit, general traffic and nonmotorized travel, along with environmental and community enhancements.
Eastside transit service and mobility improvements:
- Regional bicycle and pedestrian path.
- Direct-access ramps at 108th Avenue NE for carpools and transit.
- Wider, safer shoulders.
- A transit/HOV lane through the Eastside corridor.
- Improvement of the Evergreen Point Road Park and Ride.
- Median transit stops at Evergreen Point Road and 92nd Avenue NE.
Environmental and community enhancements
What is the project timeline?
- Spring 2010 - Completed environmental process.
- 2010/2011 - Received permits.
- Spring 2011 - Began construction.
- Summer 2014 - Transit improvements open to drivers.
- 2015 - All Eastside improvements completed.
This project was fully funded by a variety of state and federal sources, including SR 520 tolling that began in December 2011.
We awarded a $306 million contract to Eastside Corridor Constructors for the Eastside project.
Visit the SR 520 Budget and Performance page for additional information.
How can I get more information?
- E-mail: SR520bridge@wsdot.wa.gov
- 206-770-3500 (SR 520 reception)
- 206-770-3554 (project info; staffed 8-5, Mon-Fri)
- 206-708-4657 (24-hr hotline, for urgent issues)
- Social media: Youtube | Twitter (@WSDOT_520) | Flickr
- E-newsletter: sign up for email updates about the project
SR 520 Bridge Replacement and HOV Program
999 3rd Avenue, Suite 2200
Seattle, WA 98104
back to top