We wrapped columns that support six bridges on State Route 518 with steel jackets so they can better withstand an earthquake. We also widened column pier caps and added blocks between girders.
- SR 518 as it crosses over SR 509
- SR 518 as it crosses over 8th Avenue South
- SR 518 as it crosses over Des Moines Memorial Drive
- 24th Avenue South as it crosses over SR 518
- 154th Street as it crosses over SR 518
- The ramp from SeaTac Airport to westbound SR 518
When we wrap bridges columns in steel, they are less likely to collapse or become damaged in an earthquake.
This allows Puget Sound transportation systems to get back to normal more quickly.
Partnerships & Cooperation
Total cost: $8.7 million
Funding from the state gas tax.
back to top