How is WSDOT ensuring safety in the tunnel?
The Bremerton Tunnel is 959-feet-long and accomodates two lanes of traffic traveling in the same direction.
The speed limit through the Bremerton tunnel is 25 mph.
Safety features in the tunnel include:
- CCTV allowing visual checks
- direct telephone access to 911
- fire hoses in four locations
- fire alarm pull boxes
- hand-held fire extinguishers
- heat detectors in the tunnel ceiling to notify authorities if there is a fire in the tunnel
- two sets of exhaust fans