- Working with WSDOT, stakeholders have narrowed the proposed alternatives for public comment. A public meeting will be scheduled in the near future.
- Hard Shoulder Running – Investigate opening the southbound State Route 3 shoulder to traffic during peak hours between the Bremerton sewer plant and the SR 3/SR 304 merge.
• Construct 2 Lanes – construct 2 lanes on southbound State Route 3 under SR 304 from the Bremerton sewer plant to the SR 3/SR 304 merge.
• Restripe to 2 Lanes – restripe to 2 lanes on southbound State Route 3 under SR 304 from the Bremerton sewer plant to the SR 3/SR 304 merge.
• Add 3rd Lane from SR 304 Ramp to Gorst – Widen southbound SR 3 from the SR 304 ramp to Gorst to create three lanes.
- The preferred alternative will include Transportation Demand Management (TDM) options.
- The stakeholders’ have requested additional traffic modeling for selected alternatives.
Why is WSDOT
studying this interchange?
WSDOT was directed by the Legislature to conduct a feasibility study for interchange improvements to the SR 3 - SR 304 Interchange in Bremerton.
The purpose of this study is to improve mobility during the PM peak commute periods along southbound SR 3 under the SR 304 westbound ramp where the travel lanes narrow down from two to one lane. The resulting congestion increases delay and travel time affecting safety and imposing inconvenience for the traveling public.
This project will advance development of the interchange improvements by beginning the initial environmental documentation, preliminary engineering and design to expedite project delivery.
The End Result
The end result will identify a preferred alternative to advance into the preliminary engineering and design phase of the process.
Project benefits include the advancement of the design, preliminary engineering and right of way acquisition for the preferred alternative.
Once the alternative is implemented, benefits include improved mobility by reducing delay and providing a consistent travel time through the SR 3 - SR 304 interchange while maintaining the safe operation of both SR 3 and SR 304 in the process.
What is the project timeline?
The study phase is expected to be completed by August 2014.
|Financial Data for PIN 300302F
||Amount ($ in thousands)
|2003 Gas Tax (Nickel Funding)
|2005 Gas Tax (TPA)
|Pre-Existing Funds (PEF)
||Amount ($ in thousands)|
| State Funds
How can I get more information?
WSDOT, Olympic Region Transportation Planning Office
P. O. Box 47440
Olympia, WA 98504-7440
Phone: (360) 704-3204
back to top