View entire map
SR 28 was paved from about SE 3rd (MP 1.1.) in East Wenatchee to Rock Island Dam (MP 10.17).
View entire photo
(Before) Looking east where the Westbound passing lane was built, just southeast of East Wenatchee.
Complete - November 2010
Construction began Aug. 9 and was complete Nov. 19, 2010.
This project preserves a Highway of National Significance (NHS) by milling and repaving with Hot Mix Asphalt from East Wenatchee for 10 miles east along the Columbia River to Rock Island Dam, including a new Westbound passing lane.
To save money and time, three local projects were included in the contract:
- A half-million dollar City of East Wenatchee paving and pedestrian crossing project on Grant Rd. between Georgia and Kentucky Sts.
- A $120,000 right turn lane onto Batterman Rd. for Waste Management Inc.
- A $40,000 sanitary sewer pipe crossing under SR 28 for the City of Rock Island.
Why is WSDOT
Paving this section of SR 28?
This project upgrades the structural integrity and extends the life of the deteriorating pavement by applying a new hot mix asphalt surface to the driving lanes. This project also improves the ride and updated safety features including new signs, striping, rumble strips and a passing lane.
The End Result
The project preserves the roadway, upgraded safety features and reduces congestion.
- Extends roadway life
- Provide a smoother driving surface
- Improves safety with new striping, signs and rumble strips
- Reduces congestion with construction of a passing lane.
What is the project timeline?
Construction began Aug. 9 and was complete in 45 working days, November 19, 2010.
Project signage will reflect the cost of construction engineering, project bid award and sales tax.
This project was advertised for private contractor bids on May 24, 2010. Two bids will be opened July 1.
On July 13, Contract #7958 was awarded to Granite Northwest, Inc. for $2,274,274.00, 18% under the engineering estimate.
The project was originally advertised on Mar. 22, and 2 bids were opened Apr. 15. Changes in the Disadvantaged Business Enterprises (DBE) requirements caused us to reject both bids and re-advertise the project.
This project is funded from the following sources:
- Pre existing funds: $2,749,916
- Waste Management, Inc. $133,690
- City of Rock Island $41,881
- City of East Wenatchee $505,341
Total from all sources: $3,430,916
How can I get more information?
Kevin Waligorski, Project Engineer
WSDOT North Central Region
2830 Euclid Avenue Building A
Wenatchee, WA 98807
back to top