- IMPORTANT NOTICE: The new vessel, M/V Sanpoil is now serving the route.
- Keller Ferry operational status is available on the 511 telephone info system in Washington. Follow the "ferry" options on the menu.
This project includes construction of a replacement ferry boat with associated vehicle loading terminals.
Why is WSDOT
replacing the existing Keller Ferry vessel?
The current vessel, the Martha S., has been in service on this route since 1948. Replacement parts are no longer being commercially manufactured, they now must be custom-made as needed. The vessel has a limited capacity, especially when large trucks are on board.
The End Result
A more reliable vessel with enhanced passenger amenities.
Reduced service interruptions and increased safety for ferry users.
What is the project timeline?
- July 2011 – Construction contract advertised for bids
- Aug. 2011 - Pre-bid site visit for interested contractors
- Nov. 2011 - Bid opening (three bids received). Contract awarded to Foss Maritime Co.
- February 2012 - Construction started
- March 2013 - Modules move to Grand Coulee for final assembly
- July 2013 – Launch vessel for testing
- August 14, 2013 - Christening, Tribal Blessing, and vessel enters service.
|Financial Data for PIN 602110J
||Amount ($ in thousands)
|2003 Gas Tax (Nickel Funding)
|2005 Gas Tax (TPA)
|Pre-Existing Funds (PEF)
Project signage will reflect the cost of construction engineering, project bid award and sales tax.
Funding noted above consists of $9,641,000 in federal funds, $361,000 in state funds, and $2 million from the Colville Confederated Tribes.
In addition, a separate contract has been awarded to the Max J. Kuney Company of Spokane for the refurbishment of the ferry terminals. This work will be done in conjunction with the boat contract and will be completed prior to the new vessel entering service.
How can I get more information?
Al Gilson, Communications Manager
WSDOT Eastern Region
2714 N. Mayfair
Spokane, WA 99207
back to top