Detour route for the weekend closure in August
Upcoming Weekend Closure in August
Between 11 p.m. Friday, Aug. 19 and 5 a.m. Monday, Aug. 22, crews will fully close:
- All lanes of southbound SR 167 between Ellingson Road and 8th Street East
- The 8th Street East off-ramp from southbound SR 167
See the detour route (pdf 3.8 MB) to plan ahead.
For detailed lane and ramp closures, please visit our Construction Update Report website.
- Constructing fish passage north of 8th Street East, August 2016
- New lane extension opens to transit and carpoolers, Fall 2016
- Installing toll equipment, Winter 2016
- Project Complete, Early 2017
- Widening southbound SR 167 in order to make a new HOT Lane, Fall 2016
- Repaving southbound SR 167 between 15th Street Southwest and Eighth Street E in Pacific, Fall 2016
- Installing ramp meters at the SR 167 on-ramps at 15th Street, Ellingson Road and Eighth Street East, November 2016
- Improving intersections at the southbound off-ramps at Ellingson Road and Eighth Street E, November 2016
- Opened 3.5 miles of the new lane extension, June 2016
- Built a single lane bridge over SR 18, May 2016
- Constructed two noise walls, April 2016
- Completed paving of new lane between 277th and SR 18, April 2016
- Reconstructed the on-ramps at 15th Street SW, April 2016
Go behind the scenes on the WSDOT Blog:
This project will widen SR 167 to add a lane in the southbound direction and extend the existing High Occupancy Toll (HOT) Lanes system south on SR 167 in the Green River Valley. Expanding the successful 9-mile SR 167 HOT lanes will connect King and Pierce County communities to vital employment hubs in the Puget Sound area.
Extending the southbound HOT lane from its existing end point at 37th Street NW in Auburn to Eighth Street E in Pacific will reduce congestion and improve mobility, traffic flow and safety on SR 167.
Why is WSDOT
building this project?
The project will provide congestion relief for commuters in the southbound direction, particularly in the afternoon rush hour.
The End Result
This project will extend the southbound HOT lane from south of 37th St. NW in Auburn to Eighth St. E. in Pacific.
The project will provide congestion relief for commuters and freight carriers, improve safety, and provide commuter options. When it opens, the project will also maintain fast, toll-free trips for HOV users (transit, vanpools, carpools, and motorcycles).
- Safety: Safety features include updated elements such as new guardrail, pavement striping, and drainage improvements. The illumination system and signing will also be upgraded.
- Congestion relief: Extending the HOT lane further south will ease congestion and provide a smoother commute for drivers. It will be especially helpful for southbound commuters heading home during the evening commute.
- Environmental Benefits: Crews will build stormwater facilities and a floodplain storage site to collect and filter roadway runoff before it released into area streams and wetlands, improving water quality for salmon and other wildlife. They will also upgrade culverts in the project area to improve fish passage.
What is the project timeline?
- Summer 2014 - Advertise Design-Build Request for Proposals
- Summer 2015 - Construction begins
- Summer 2017 - Project opens to traffic
|Financial Data for PIN 816701C
||Amount ($ in thousands)
|2003 Gas Tax (Nickel Funding)
|2005 Gas Tax (TPA)
|Pre-Existing Funds (PEF)
Project signage will reflect the cost of construction engineering, project bid award and sales tax.
¿Cómo puedo obtener más información?
How can I get more information?
Sharif Shaklawun, Project Engineer
Caitlin Morris, Public Information
back to top