- Construction is underway - crews recently created a work zone on southbound SR 167.
- For detailed lane and ramp closures, please visit our Construction Update Report website.
This project will widen SR 167 to add a lane in the southbound direction and extend the existing High Occupancy Toll (HOT) Lanes system south on SR 167 in the Green River Valley. Expanding the successful 9-mile SR 167 HOT lanes will connect King and Pierce County communities to vital employment hubs in the Puget Sound area.
Extending the southbound HOT lane from its existing end point at 37th Street NW in Auburn to Eighth Street E in Pacific will reduce congestion and improve mobility, traffic flow and safety on SR 167.
Other improvements will include:
Why is WSDOT
building this project?
The project will provide congestion relief for commuters in the southbound direction, particularly in the afternoon rush hour.
The End Result
This project will extend the southbound HOT lane from south of 37th St. NW in Auburn to Eighth St. E. in Pacific.
The project will provide congestion relief for commuters and freight carriers, improve safety, and provide commuter options. When it opens, the project will also maintain fast, toll-free trips for HOV users (transit, vanpools, carpools, and motorcycles).
- Safety: Safety features include updated elements such as new guardrail, pavement striping, and drainage improvements. The illumination system and signing will also be upgraded.
- Congestion relief: Extending the HOT lane further south will ease congestion and provide a smoother commute for drivers. It will be especially helpful for southbound commuters heading home during the evening commute.
- Environmental Benefits: Crews will build stormwater facilities and a floodplain storage site to collect and filter roadway runoff before it released into area streams and wetlands, improving water quality for salmon and other wildlife. They will also upgrade culverts in the project area to improve fish passage.
What is the project timeline?
- Summer 2014 - Advertise Design-Build Request for Proposals
- Summer 2015 - Construction begins
- Summer 2017 - Project opens to traffic
|Financial Data for PIN 816701C
||Amount ($ in thousands)
|2003 Gas Tax (Nickel Funding)
|2005 Gas Tax (TPA)
|Pre-Existing Funds (PEF)
Project signage will reflect the cost of construction engineering, project bid award and sales tax.
¿Cómo puedo obtener más información?
How can I get more information?
Sharif Shaklawun, Project Engineer
Caitlin Morris, Communications
back to top