- Crews will return after April 1 to complete final paving.
- WSDOT would like to thank commuters for their patience while crews replaced narrow culverts with three 18-foot-wide concrete box culverts that run under both directions of SR 16, SR 166 and Anderson Hill Road.
Why is WSDOT
replacing culverts associated with Anderson Creek underneath State Route 16, State Route 166 and Anderson Hill Road in Port Orchard?
The intent of the project is to improve fish passage in Anderson Creek to Sinclair Inlet. The existing culverts were a fish barrier. Replacing the culverts is intended make the stream more maneuverable for salmon, extending usable habitat.
Crews working for WSDOT previously installed three 18 foot-wide culverts under State Route 16, State Route 166 and Anderson Hill Road.
This work is part of WSDOT's Fish Passage Barrier Removal Program, which identifies and removes barriers to fish passage caused by culverts under state highways. In 2013, a federal court injunction required the state to significantly increase the state’s efforts in removing state-owned culverts that block habitat for salmon and steelhead.
WSDOT has a responsibility to be a good environmental steward. The culverts run under state highways and must be replaced to bring them up to current standards and eliminate the barrier they pose to fish.
The End Result
The larger box culverts under SR 16, SR 166 and Anderson Hill Road will improve fish passage and increase fish habitat by approximately 1 mile.
This project replaced outdated culverts that are a barrier for fish with culverts that are built wider than the existing stream channel, and are sloped at a similar grade as the natural stream. The wider, man-made culverts simulate what is found in a natural stream bed.
What is the project timeline?
- The project was awarded to Scarsella Brothers, Inc. on March 30, 2016.
- Construction on this project is expected to begin in mid-June 2016.
- All in-stream work will occur in late summer through October to meet environmental requirements and accommodate fish windows.
|Financial Data for PIN 301653A
||Amount ($ in thousands)
|2003 Gas Tax (Nickel Funding)
|2005 Gas Tax (TPA)
|Pre-Existing Funds (PEF)
Project signage will reflect the cost of construction engineering, project bid award and sales tax.
How can I get more information?
Claudia Bingham Baker
WSDOT Olympic Region
back to top