The new Narrows bridge opened to traffic on July 16, 2007, four weeks early and under budget.
The new Narrows Bridge is parallel to and south of the 1950 Narrows Bridge. It carries four 11-foot-wide lanes of eastbound traffic toward Tacoma. The left lane is a high-occupancy-vehicle (HOV) lane, the two center lanes are general purpose lanes open to all traffic, and the right lane is an "add/drop" lane that extends across the bridge to the Jackson Avenue exit.
In addition, the bridge has a 10-foot right shoulder for disabled vehicles and a 10-foot barrier-separated bicycle/pedestrian lane.
The new Tacoma Narrows Bridge is the first toll facility in western Washington in nearly two decades.
Since opening to traffic, zero fatal or disabling injury collisions have occurred on the Narrows bridges.
When incidents do occur, new roadway shoulders make it possible to clear incidents faster, reducing associated traffic backups.
The new bridge and SR 16 corridor improvements provide significant traffic-flow benefits. Average speeds during peak commute times are now double compared to commute times before the new bridge opened.
Partnerships & Cooperation
The new Tacoma Narrows Bridge was built by Tacoma Narrows Constructors, a joint venture of Bechtel Infrastructure Corporation and Kiewit Pacific Company.
Click here for financial information regarding the Tacoma Narrows Bridge.
Missed a toll? Call 1-866-936-8246 or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org.
back to top