- The project currently is in the design phase.
- Construction is scheduled to begin in 2019.
- Sign up to receive project and construction updates.
Why is WSDOT
improving access to SR 14 through Washougal?
Currently, access to and from the SR 14 corridor through Washougal is limited, affecting safety and economic development. Project improvements will enhance the roadway system to provide better access to SR 14 within the corridor, balancing the needs of all users.
- Safety: A high rate of collisions at the intersections of SR 14 at 15th Street and 32nd Street
- Access/connectivity: The current configuration of the SR 14 and 32nd Street intersection limits freight and local traffic access to and from Washougal via SR 14.
- Economic development: Freight travel in and out of the Port of Camas-Washougal is limited due to the current highway configuration.
On Wednesday, Feb. 22, 2017, hundreds of community members attended an open house at the Port of Camas-Washougal to learn about proposed current project design options. WSDOT staff discussed the project, took feedback and answered questions.
Roundabouts at these locations offer the greatest safety benefit by reducing the potential for severe collisions, while improving connectivity and economic development opportunities along the
corridor. Construction of a roundabout at 32nd Street will restore use of the intersection from all directions.
Studies have shown that roundabouts are safer than traditional stop sign or signal-controlled intersections.
Studies by the Federal Highway Administration have found that roundabouts can increase traffic capacity by 30 percent to 50 percent compared to traditional intersections.
Want to learn more? Roundabout videos are available on YouTube.
The End Result
Improving access to the corridor will help to ensure the safety of the traveling public through this stretch of highway and will promote economic vitality in the region.
- Safety: Enhance safety and reduce collisions
- Mobility: Provide better freight and local traffic access in and out of Washougal via SR 14
- Economic development: Improved access allows for economic development in the City of Washougal
What is the project timeline?
Develop design alternatives
Determine project priorities
Fall 2016— Spring 2017:
Host open houses to present alternatives to the public
Refine & screen alternatives
Gather environmental data
Summer 2017— Winter 2019:
Obtain environmental permits
Right of way negotiations and acquisitions
Develop final plans, specifications and estimates
Construction scheduled to begin.
How can I get more information?
WSDOT Project Engineer
back to top