- The Hood Canal Bridge closure scheduled from 11 p.m. Friday, March 24 through 5 a.m. Saturday, March 25 has been cancelled.
- The drawspan will continue to close to traffic for regular marine traffic.
- WSDOT will announce additional night closures as they are scheduled.
- Crews are rebuilding and replaceing internal mechanics of the bridge's draw span, including the upper and lower gear boxes, hydraulic lines, and guide rollers.
- Read the WSDOT Blog about this important project.
- General information about the Hood Canal Bridge is located on the Common Questions web page.
Why is WSDOT
replacing the bridges' internal mechanics that are responsible for opening and closing drawspan?
The existing lower and upper gear boxes are worn and near the end of their lifespan. Beginning the spring of 2017, contractor crews will replace the Hood Canal Bridge's gear boxes, hydraulic hoses and adjust and align the guide rollers that are responsible for operating the drawspan for marine traffic.
During the work, the bridge will need to close to all vehicular traffic over a series of nights. Closure information will be available on this web page and the Olympic Region Weekly Construction and Traffic Updates web page.
Federal law requires the Hood Canal Bridge, and other movable bridges along navigable waterways, to give marine traffic the right-of-way over vehicular traffic.
The End Result
New gear boxes and other internal mechanical parts will allow WSDOT to maintain the functionality of the bridge drawspan and minimize unscheduled impacts to motorists and marine traffic.
Access - With no convenient alternate routes between Kitsap and Jefferson counties, repairing the bridge preserves an important lifeline for residents and businesses.
What is the project timeline?
- Oct. 2016 - Project awarded to Northbank Civil and Marine, Inc.
- Spring 2017 - construction begins
- Fall 2017 - construction complete
|Financial Data for PIN 310439C
||Amount ($ in thousands)
|2003 Gas Tax (Nickel Funding)
|2005 Gas Tax (TPA)
|Pre-Existing Funds (PEF)
Project signage will reflect the cost of construction engineering, project bid award and sales tax.
How can I get more information?
Claudia Bingham Baker
Subscribe to Hood Canal Bridge text messages:
- Send a text message to 468311 with the words "wsdot hood"
- To unsubscribe send a text message to the same number with the words "wsdot stop"
back to top