This is a multi-phased project. Only Phase 1A & 1B are partially funded, and the funds have all been moved to future biennium.
Phase 1A and 1B will:
- Reconfigure the curve in Centralia.
- Replace jointed track between Centralia and Blakeslee Junction.
- Reconfigure the connection at Blakeslee Junction between Tacoma Rail and Puget Sound & Pacific Railroad.
- Resignal Napavine Hill.
- Remove tracks from Centralia and replace elsewhere in the Tacoma Rail system.
For details on Phase 2 thru Phase 5, see below in The End Result section.
Why is WSDOT
making changes to the tracks at Centralia?
The connection in Centralia between BNSF Railway and Puget Sound and Pacific Railroad (PSAP) needs to be improved so that train speeds can be increased at the junction.
The project will build a new connection between Tacoma Rail and PSAP at Blakeslee Junction. In addition, the tracks in the junction between PSAP and BNSF Railway in Centralia will be aligned.
The End Result
Once Phase 1A and 1B are completed, the new connections will reduce congestion for both rail and automobile traffic in the area.
The agreed upon option makes upgrades to the existing route used by trains carrying grain for the Port of Grays Harbor. In addition to making speed improvements at Centralia, it also provides for a connection to Tacoma Rail at Blakeslee Junction.
Phase 2 will add an additional rail line on the BNSF Railway network at Centralia.
Phase 3 will add additional storage capacity to the Puget Sound & Pacific line at Blakeslee Junction.
Phase 4 will add a storage track on the Puget Sound & Pacific line at Hoquim.
Phase 5 will make a new connection between Puget Sound & Pacific and Tacoma Rail at Grand Mound.
Only Phase 1A & 1B are partially funded.
- Improved train speeds through Centralia
- Reduced congestion on city streets
- Less rail congestion for trains through Centralia
- Increased capacity for Burlington Northern through Centralia
- Alternative access point for Tacoma Rail to the BNSF Main line.
- Future trail development opportunity
What is the project timeline?
The Project requires additional funding that will not be available prior to the 2011/2012 biennium.
The agreement between the parties required the signing of an agreement between BNSF and Tacoma Rail. The terms of this proved difficult to negotiate, but the railroads have agreed to a plan that is acceptable to all of them.
This project is funded through the following sources:
- Phase 1A - 2005 Partnership Funding (Weight Fees) - $7.4 million
- Phase 1B - Multimodal Transportation Account - $1.5 million
- Phase 1B - Federal Funds - $3.9 million
- Total Funding From All Sources - $12.8 million
*As the project costs have been revised, this project is now underfunded.
How can I get more information?
WSDOT Rail Division
PO Box 47407
Olympia, WA 98504-7407
back to top