The following projects illustrate the application of one or more practical design principles (however many were developed before our current focus on practical design).
- Chelan, SR 150 No-See-Um Road intersection improvements (pdf 104kb)
- Lakewood, I-5 auxiliary lane (pdf 103kb)
- Leavenworth, US 2 Tumwater Canyon (pdf 128kb)
- Mattawa, SR 243 intersection improvements (pdf 94kb)
- Rochester, US 12 safety improvements (pdf 106kb)
- Snohomish, US 2 Bickford Avenue interchange (pdf 132kb)
- Spokane, US 395 North Spokane Corridor (pdf 98kb)
- Wenatchee, US 97A paving (pdf 98kb)
- Wenatchee, SR 285, George Sellar Bridge (pdf 116kb)
- Yakima, I-82 Valley Mall Boulevard (pdf 126kb)
Practical Solutions materials
The following documents provide even more depth and context about Practical Solutions.
Practical Highway Design Solutions (pdf 7mb) -NCHRP Synthesis 2013
WSDOT endorses NACTO's Urban Street Design Guidelines
Performance and Accountability through Reforms (pdf 82kb)
Understanding Flexibility in Transportation Design — Washington
Hearing on Using Practical Design and Context-Sensitive Solutions in Developing Surface Transportation Projects , June 2010, U.S. House of Representatives' Committee on Transportation and Infrastructure Subcommittee on Highways and Transit.
Frequently Asked Questions